Sterilizing seeds

BrightsideB

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Last year I tried propagating some Korean pine seeds and they all became moldy in the bag when I was stratifying them. I was successful with some other small seed conifers and strawberry tree. But others became moldy. Primarily large nut/seeds seem to get moldy. I was curious if anyone could share some methods to mitigate mold growth on seeds?

Flowerhouse

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
When I was stratifying Robinia seeds I checked them every week and changed the paper towel they were in every other week. Worked for me.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Ventilation is pretty much my go to solution.

A little diluted peroxide does help too, a tablespoon of 3% peroxide in a cup of water should keep them clean.
I add some perlite to the bags to keep stuff from sticking to the walls of the bags, this also prevents pooling of water.

Some nuts like walnuts, acorns and chestnuts get moldy because it helps them germinate. I stratify those outdoors in the ground.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I spay them with a peroxide solution that is about 25% peroxide (3%) and the rest is water. I use it for seeds and hardwood cuttings.

BrightsideB

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Ventilation is pretty much my go to solution.

A little diluted peroxide does help too, a tablespoon of 3% peroxide in a cup of water should keep them clean.
I add some perlite to the bags to keep stuff from sticking to the walls of the bags, this also prevents pooling of water.

Some nuts like walnuts, acorns and chestnuts get moldy because it helps them germinate. I stratify those outdoors in the ground.
That’s interesting that the mold on nuts help them germinate. I guess it could help with the shell becoming softer and such. I think I am going to just go with doing it outdoors with nature’s time with the large nuts.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
That’s interesting that the mold on nuts help them germinate. I guess it could help with the shell becoming softer and such. I think I am going to just go with doing it outdoors with nature’s time with the large nuts.
As a kid I used to collect acorns, chestnuts and whatnot in fall. Made those matchstick animals and all with them.
But my squirrel instinct caused me to stash a bunch of plastic bags with those nuts in the cabinets and corners of the house for later use. They got moldy pretty fast! And after a couple weeks it looked like a bag of sprouted potatoes.
Most of these husks/hulls/shells require some fungal breakdown to soften, so the seedling can break through. Scarification can be done in a cleaner environment but that's a tonne of work and it's kind of hard to explain to other people that you've spent a couple hours.. sanding your nuts. 🤣

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have tried a few times in a fridge with a baggie. Always mold. I now take to stratification natures way. Plant seeds in fall. Cover against predators. Put outside in a shaded part of the garden and wait for spring to do its magic.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
have tried a few times in a fridge with a baggie. Always mold. I now take to stratification natures way. Plant seeds in fall. Cover against predators. Put outside in a shaded part of the garden and wait for spring to do its magic.
Me too.
Even here where winter is not really cold natural stratification is much easier and more reliable.

Canada Bonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
they all became moldy in the bag when I was stratifying them

This is what i do in terms of sterilization and stratification:

When it comes time to sow the seeds, other sterilization protocols apply

Top Bottom