Stewartia Monadelpha

Eddy

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
what time of year should I trunk chop? Also should it be before, after or during a repot?

I plan on chopping the smaller secondary trunk and take off about 6 inches of the main trunk and use a new leader that's already there. Can I do both at the same time?

Attachments

• IMG_5119.JPG
    IMG_5119.JPG
    414.6 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_5120.JPG
    IMG_5120.JPG
    381.3 KB · Views: 87

Eddy

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
That's what I was thinking. I jus bought it so I was going to wait till next early spring. So you recommend doing it right before it buds?

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thats when i cut mine with no ill effects,just took a little longer to break bud

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
you should focus on keeping it healthy n get some help with the basic design before cutting anything major off

Andrew Robson

Shohin
Reaction score
I don't see a tree that needs to be trunk chopped in your picture, just a tree that needs to grow.

From your photos, my advice is to grow it one size larger than it currently is and work on developing branching. Also looks like you need to start working on the nebari. Next year I'd repot it into an oversized bonsai pot with volcanic soil mix (akadama/pumice).

You have a nice piece of material to develop over time, with the right technique it could be a great tree in 15 years.

Ganbatte!

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I think you missed the boat to do such a large chop,the tree is in leaf.
However, @Eddy, you can chop the heavy trunks down to the point of having one or two branches with foliage. If you wait until mid-May it should give you some budding lower down on the tree.

Since you are inexperienced, I suggest not repotting this year, but you might be able to repot sometime after the summer solstice (aka Father's Day), like Aug/Sep. This is a 'rainy season' or a time of high humidity throughout most of the Western U.S. I haven't specifically tried stewartia, but other thick/waxy leafed angiosperms do just fine being repotted in Aug/Sep. Since repotting will temporarily impair water uptake, keep it in shade for maybe a couple of weeks if there is any sign of turgor loss (i.e. weepy leaves and stems - prepare a humidity tent as a contingency).

Josh88

Shohin
Reaction score
However, @Eddy, you can chop the heavy trunks down to the point of having one or two branches with foliage. If you wait until mid-May it should give you some budding lower down on the tree.

Since you are inexperienced, I suggest not repotting this year, but you might be able to repot sometime after the summer solstice (aka Father's Day), like Aug/Sep. This is a 'rainy season' or a time of high humidity throughout most of the Western U.S. I haven't specifically tried stewartia, but other thick/waxy leafed angiosperms do just fine being repotted in Aug/Sep. Since repotting will temporarily impair water uptake, keep it in shade for maybe a couple of weeks if there is any sign of turgor loss (i.e. weepy leaves and stems - prepare a humidity tent as a contingency).
Hey there Eddy and Oso, I'm facing the same issue with the same species. Mine is about 12 feet tall and has been held at the nursery I bought it from last fall, waiting for me to get back to it to chop and take it home. Just to clarify Oso, are you recommending chopping to a lower branch any time now and waiting for back budding around mid-May, or waiting til mid-May for leaves to harden and then chop?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

Eddy

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Yes. As long as you leave some foliage to keep it going, you can prune/chop any time.
So osoyoung you're saying I can take off about 6 inches of my main trunk right now without hurting the tree? I'm trying to start a new leader to create some taper without making it any taller. I already have a leader picked out.

iant

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Yes you could chop now, but why not wait a month or so? Your tree just made an investment in forming those new leaves and the leaves haven't paid the tree back yet. If you chop now it's in a bit of an energy depleted state it will have less energy to bud back. If you wait until those leaves have been out a couple months at least then you'll have replenished a bit of the energy of the tree. The only thing you'd lose in waiting is if you have branches thickening that you don't want to thicken. Also of course you want to get started now on it...
Ian

Eddy

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Yes you could chop now, but why not wait a month or so? Your tree just made an investment in forming those new leaves and the leaves haven't paid the tree back yet. If you chop now it's in a bit of an energy depleted state it will have less energy to bud back. If you wait until those leaves have been out a couple months at least then you'll have replenished a bit of the energy of the tree. The only thing you'd lose in waiting is if you have branches thickening that you don't want to thicken. Also of course you want to get started now on it...
Ian
That sounds good. I'll wait a little. I found a nice leader a few minutes ago that's about 2-3 inches under the top of the trunk. Not too thick yet so I can wait a month or so. Thanks for the advice.

Top Bottom