• Add acid

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Re-pot with different soil

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Mitty

Yamadori
Reaction score
I have had trouble growing small Stewartia trees for bonsai. I am using large containers with good draining soil. However the last two years only one has taken off. The other two just stand with just 1 or 2 leaves..
I cannot tell the variety as the small leaves are tiny. The other is growing well. I know there is a difference between the two varieties offered. I have spent some time dressing all 3 with acid based fertilizers as well as vitamins and minerals. The soil is acid now , but not very. Could I use cider in small amounts with a watering can.? This the only tree I have ever had problems with.

Shima

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11A
How large is large? Pictures?

Mitty

Yamadori
Reaction score
I use a 2 gallon plastic containers, bought for the purpose. The Stewartia trees are young about 4 years old. I don't want to lose them , apart from the fact that they cost quite a bit.

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
They dont like to dry out in summer,so if your soil does not retain enough moisture your leaves will curl n fall,also they do not like the hot sun,dappled light,i mix peat for moisture n acidity in my soil and she has not skipped a beat

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Have one S. monadelpha bought 2 years ago on way home from Artisans Cup. Was about 1' tall scrawny $8 tree. Slip potted into 2 gallon(?) container with Wee Tree Bonsai mix right away. Has grown great w/full sun and maybe 3'x2' now. Being grown for yard tree future;). H2O and fertilizer along with Bonsai subjects. Why bother with weird additives? Always use 20-20-20 fert on mine.

Mitty

Yamadori
Reaction score
I think it is a matter of luck. The Stewatia are well looked after , not too wet but never dry. I use a multipurpose fertilizer, have tried liquid and solid version. I am adding an acidifier.
They all get plenty of sun.
Thank you all for your help .

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Use miracid for chemical fert regime,honestly i dont fertilize mine that much,be careful with any chemical fert it can cause your roots to lock up from salt in the fert,i use rain water for watering,especially with organics n peat in the soil

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I have had trouble growing small Stewartia trees for bonsai. I am using large containers with good draining soil. However the last two years only one has taken off. The other two just stand with just 1 or 2 leaves..
I cannot tell the variety as the small leaves are tiny. The other is growing well. I know there is a difference between the two varieties offered. I have spent some time dressing all 3 with acid based fertilizers as well as vitamins and minerals. The soil is acid now , but not very. Could I use cider in small amounts with a watering can.? This the only tree I have ever had problems with.

Your plants are young. I assume you repotted them in 2016, or possibly 2015. If the roots were damaged by repotting, it can take a couple years to recover. Too much "fiddling around" is more likely to kill them than benign neglect.

Too much fertilizer will stunt growth, though usually if fertilizer is the issue, leaf color will be off, especially a strange red in the outer edge of the leaf.

I vote leave the roots alone until next year.

Your location gives me no clue what part of the world you are in. The rare case of being too specific, versus the more common of not specific enough. So tell me about water quality, and the components of the potting mix. Only when you take water and media in account can you recommend chemical fertilizer or adjustments to the water. Key is total alkalinity of your water, or a less helpful but still useful stand in, total dissolved solids of your water. Without total alkalinity, any discussion of pH is meaningless.

If you have no clue about the water quality, tell us if your water is coming from a well or surface water, lake, River, etc.

Basically, can't really help without specific info. Thanks.

I have Stewartia, going on my 5th year with them. Got a 15 year old field grown monodelphia from Randy Knight. It is a vigorous bush now, spring will be it's first thorough styling.

Top Bottom