Stick in a pot with some questions

theta

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So I bought this thing earlier this year, repotted it in Spring. Got a couple of questions about it.
Repot in spring:
uprightJuniper01_6.20.17.jpg

Today:
uprightJuniper01_10.24.17.jpg

It's put on some growth which has all been adult scale foliage, which I'm happy about. The apex has grown the most, while the lower branches have not grown much. Interesting to see the tendencies of the growth pattern first hand(still new to bonsai).

I want to get in there and lighten up the apex and trim back some growth to balance everything out, is now an OK time to do that? Or should I wait until Spring.

The newer growth this summer has been so leggy as you can see below -- I don't know if this is the nature of this species or not enough sun? Can anyone tell? I thought it was getting sun most of the day, maybe it's not enough.

uprightJuniper01_foliage_10.24.17.jpg

And this is what I had in my head of where I wanted to go with this. I don't know how realistic this is -- getting the foliage compacted enough and close to the trunk so that the scale works, etc...

uprightJuniper01_plan.jpg

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Sure, you can thin the apex now, or most any time for that matter.

Trimming the foliage in spring will produce the strongest back budding; winter the least. Summer is second best for back budding, which you will need for developing pads AND to keep the foliage from running away from the trunk. But, you don't particularly want back budding with thinning the apex.

Since you have a clear vision for the future of this tree, I would wire the branches into position now. It likely can be kept in place for at least a year.

theta

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for the info, that was helpful.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'd wait till spring too.
Let it keep storing energy...

Make sure it gets going in spring.
Then hit it rather hard, so the lowest stuff has way more foliage, really make it need those low bits so they get a spring boost.

Plus, if you lose some top...you got a few branches that could become new leads.

Pretty sick you repotted and got adult foliage!

Doesn't seem much though.
Use it wisely!

Love the projected image.
You can totally pull it off!

Sorce

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Pretty sick you repotted and got adult foliage!
I've found that usually they put out the juvenile after cuts mainly.
The newer growth this summer has been so leggy as you can see below
That's normal size. I have a couple Parsons junipers and it's like that. I like to try keep them in juvenile foliage because it's tighter. Right now they're mixed because I quit didn't cut them at all this year. Next spring after a good hair cut they should revert back to juvenile foliage. Right now they're kind of bushy with a mix of adult and juvenile foliage.

theta

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sorce, that's going to be my plan. Wait to prune until Spring, I may wire now though.

Mike, that's interesting to intentionally keep juvenile foliage because it's more compact. Is it just a matter of the pruning process that keeps it juvi for you?

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sorce, that's going to be my plan. Wait to prune until Spring, I may wire now though.

Mike, that's interesting to intentionally keep juvenile foliage because it's more compact. Is it just a matter of the pruning process that keeps it juvi for you?
All I need to do to them is to cut something off. It then blows up with juvenile foliage. It isn't too hard really.

theta

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Small update on this one, just to track progress. Put on some good growth, this is after I thinned it it out and cut back some. Next spring going to repot it at a slightly more upright angle, possibly in the ground or a larger size container to help put on some girth.

IMG_20190526_153601.jpg

Top Bottom