Stick with round pot or not?

Yo Mango

Yamadori
Reaction score
I would focus on improving the design first. Then, decide on the most appropriate shape and size of pot.
I would also as others have mentioned focus on either reducing the depth of the root ball or acquiring a deeper pot. The base of the nebari should rest slightly below the lip or rim of the pot.The depression in the centre of the apex creates a uniform left and ride side essentially breaking the unity of design. The width of the lower branches appear out of proportion for the height and shape of the tree. These are items I would look to adjust or correct first.
With a re design I suspect the round shape without feet would be a better choice than the oval. If it stays as it is, an oval shape may improve the overall effect.
I understand this portion of the advice was unsolicited, but I think the tree has more potential than currently displayed. That is a positive, right! And besides it is simply one opinion.
Terrific opinion! Well received. I will explore some slight styling planning and take my time with this. Thanks!

Yo Mango

Yamadori
Reaction score
Everyone’s feedback is so much appreciated. I am happy to have had such great insight on this. I’ll be examining this tree better with everyone’s comments in mind. Thank you!

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Terrific opinion! Well received. I will explore some slight styling planning and take my time with this. Thanks!
I appreciate that the comments were received as intended. Others mentioned the reduction of leaf size and methods to achieve that. Also an important consideration for improving and getting the most out of the trees potential.
Fantastic book for your consideration is Francois Jeker " Bonsai Aesthetics" Practical guide, How to improve the aesthetic quality of your trees.
2006 Volume 1

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I believe that pots without feet are not considered "bonsai" pots. I think that makes you a criminal or a heretic.

SevenOaks

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
My feeling says that since the tree is leaning left, I would put it in a larger oval pot. I would also put the tree slightly towards the lefthand side, so that the trunk does not sit perfectly in the middle. I am sort of thinking "create a balanced assymmetry since the tree/trunk itself isn't symmetric".

Does that make sense?

jaco94

Chumono
Reaction score
The movement of the tree goes to the left (trunk line, first branch), on the other hand the top of the very wide tree comes a little to rebalance the movement and refocus it.

Then, it's a matter of taste, either we prefer a dynamic tree and then it would be necessary to lighten the vegetation a little on the right part of the tree with a slightly off-center placement to the right of the pot (movement to the left).

Or we prefer a more stable tree and we let the vegetation balance a little on both sides.

The fairly strong taper of the trunk gives a bit the impression that the tree is going backwards, you should also try to tilt it a little forward when repotting, but it is an impression on a photo, things are maybe different in real life with the tree in front of you.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
OP should take solace that the tree is good enough to be receiving the picky kind of critique to approach a very high level perfection. 🏆

Yo Mango

Yamadori
Reaction score
My feeling says that since the tree is leaning left, I would put it in a larger oval pot. I would also put the tree slightly towards the lefthand side, so that the trunk does not sit perfectly in the middle. I am sort of thinking "create a balanced assymmetry since the tree/trunk itself isn't symmetric".

Does that make sense?
That does make sense, but I was thinking the trunk slightly on the right, and grow the mass more left-ish.

Yo Mango

Yamadori
Reaction score
The movement of the tree goes to the left (trunk line, first branch), on the other hand the top of the very wide tree comes a little to rebalance the movement and refocus it.

Then, it's a matter of taste, either we prefer a dynamic tree and then it would be necessary to lighten the vegetation a little on the right part of the tree with a slightly off-center placement to the right of the pot (movement to the left).

Or we prefer a more stable tree and we let the vegetation balance a little on both sides.

The fairly strong taper of the trunk gives a bit the impression that the tree is going backwards, you should also try to tilt it a little forward when repotting, but it is an impression on a photo, things are maybe different in real life with the tree in front of you.
I agree. And I think the plan is trimming the right a little and growing the left. Also, a little lean forward and a bit deeper.

Yo Mango

Yamadori
Reaction score
Went with the oval, slightly large and this placement. I still feel as though something is a little off, but can’t put my finger on it… thinking of trimming lower right back some to help with a slant. Thoughts?

Attachments

• 2E0AE8B1-A105-4EAF-94BF-9FBE94A5BCB4.jpeg
    2E0AE8B1-A105-4EAF-94BF-9FBE94A5BCB4.jpeg
    320.9 KB · Views: 42

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I wouldn't take any off the right now but I would thin it all a little to reveal some of the structure. I think your choice of a pot is perfect, but I am not sure I would have potted it that high.
All in all it looks great.

Yo Mango

Yamadori
Reaction score
I wouldn't take any off the right now but I would thin it all a little to reveal some of the structure. I think your choice of a pot is perfect, but I am not sure I would have potted it that high.
All in all it looks great.
I agree on the height. It came from such a tiny pot that the root ball was pretty small. I couldn’t aggressively trim back enough to fit deeper without getting too nervous. Next repot as the roots spread outward, I should be able to tuck it into the pot better.

jaco94

Chumono
Reaction score
Very nice pot but the impression we have is that there is too much empty space around the tree, as if the tree was planted in the right back corner of the pot .

Yo Mango

Yamadori
Reaction score
Very nice pot but the impression we have is that there is too much empty space around the tree, as if the tree was planted in the right back corner of the pot .
Good point. I’ll see if I can adjust the tree forward ever so slightly. I think the camera angle might be also playing a small role here.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
there is too much empty space around the tree
I see this as a result of being planted a bit high. Other than that I have no problem whatsoever with the tree's placement. I think a bit of moss up front it would give an incredible perspective.

Top Bottom