Sticks in a Pot: American Hornbeam

amkhalid

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
I am obsessed with yamadori but I have started to realize that the diversity of my collection is suffering because of this. Collected conifers have that "tough, dynamic" feeling, but I am lacking trees with that "delicate, graceful" feeling.

With this in mind, and inspired by a recent bonsai focus article, I bought a bunch of American Hornbeam seedlings and made a very basic forest planting. In nine years of bonsai I have never made a forest planting. I found it very challenging and time consuming (so many design considerations), but enjoyable.

Comments are appreciated. I have never worked with this species - hopefully the drastic root reduction won't be a problem.

Raw material (2-3 year old seedlings in one gallon cans)
nzRHU3Y.jpg

Need lots of tie down points
AujPnid.jpg

Final product
olZXJm8.jpg

Thanks for reading

Beng

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Nice planting. Great start, must have been a lot of work to get them all in there.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I like it too. Great ideal for multiple tie down. :)

Thanks for sharing! :)

amkhalid

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Thanks for the positive comments everyone. My friend/bonsai mentor has pointed out some problems which I wholly agree with. The 2nd and 3rd trunks are too parallel. And the three tree grouping needs something... perhaps a tiny cutting. I will address these issues once it is established.

Beautiful. How tall?

Roughly 50 cm. Here is a pic with something for scale (bottle was full this afternoon!).

vUJNPL2.jpg

For the record, this took me 6-8 hours to make. Damn, forests are a lot of work.

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wow! So much with so little. I think you have a talent with forests.

Beng

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Thanks for the positive comments everyone. My friend/bonsai mentor has pointed out some problems which I wholly agree with. The 2nd and 3rd trunks are too parallel. And the three tree grouping needs something... perhaps a tiny cutting. I will address these issues once it is established.

Roughly 50 cm. Here is a pic with something for scale (bottle was full this afternoon!).

vUJNPL2.jpg

For the record, this took me 6-8 hours to make. Damn, forests are a lot of work.

Good points from your mentor. From your blog post in one of the pics of the side view I thought the planting would benefit from leaning the 2nd tree from the right more towards the viewer a bit. As it is now it breaks up the lines of a few of the trunks when viewed from the side. Great forest though, for a first planting of untrained material it's one of the best I've seen.
View attachment 32126

Last edited:

amkhalid

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
From your blog post in one of the pics of the side view I thought the planting would benefit from leaning the 2nd tree from the right more towards the viewer a bit.
View attachment 32126

I noticed this - completely agree. Good catch. It is an easy fix but for now I am just going to let it chill out and hope everything survives. Maybe in the summer I can start messing with it again if everything pans out. So many dimensions to a forest, it seems like it would be very hard to get everything dialed in the first time.

Thanks for the comments.

Beng

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
It has many more repots in its future I'm sure. You'll have time to contemplate a million alternatives over the next year. It will only get better and better I'm sure. ;)

Jason_mazzy

Chumono
Reaction score
Martin Sweeny has some nice American Hornbeams. How did you gget pointed into the hornbeam direction? To be honest I never really noticed them when walking around. Now I'm keeping my eyes peeled LOL.

RichKid

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Very nice indeed. Inspirational as well. You don't always have to wait 20 years to have something beautiful.

monza

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks really good! I'm pretty keen to try a forest this spring, your's is a great inspiration for sure.

Last edited:

amkhalid

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
How did you gget pointed into the hornbeam direction? To be honest I never really noticed them when walking around. Now I'm keeping my eyes peeled LOL.

Mainly I chose American hornbeam because these had the most delicate twigging of all the species available at the nursery I got them from. Better than European hornbeam. Better bark characteristics than european as well. Although I also bought a number of beech (American and European) which I also think could make some nice group plantings.

Having never worked with this species, I hope it works out well. My main concerns are the ability of the roots to take the major pruning, and the longevity of the ramification (I cut off a lot of dead twigs).

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I really like this group and despite you calling them sticks in pots, i think they look great size-wise. So many people focus on thick trunks with everything they forget how elegant something like this can look. Can't wait to see this one over the next few season. Please post a pic up when they have leaves.

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Looks great!,I hope everything works out well for you.That is a very cool article,as I have read that too.It inspired me to make a purchase of Korean Hornbeam and Japanese Beech to do the same thing.

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
Very, very nice! Very delicate and easy on the eyes. Pot color is excellent. I am a fan of this one! Like the others have said it will be fun to watch it over the years.

Top Bottom