Sticky stuff

Bnana

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Amazing what you can make with cement. I've been looking into making a simple slab (I don't even dare to think about the complicated things).
I have a Larch forest that is developing well but it is in an ugly 45x45 cm plastic tray.
A simple concrete slab with a small raised edge that looks more or less like natural rock would be great. I've looked into different descriptions on how to do this.
The explanation on colinlewisbonsai seems best to me. Is there a beter description of how you doe these things (in Dutch or English).
Would that work with grey aluminum cement mixed with silver sand around a basis of metal aviary gauze?

I live pretty close to the shop in Soest you mention so that would be easy.

Reaction score
Grey aluminum cement?!?! Please tell me where. Bonsaiempire has an artikel about making slabs. Ron de Roo and Marcel Witteman did that in those day's. Beter ask Oscar Jonker. He know how too do it.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Do you mean aluminum grey or grey aluminum.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You are really getting to the top of fake-rock makers in the world, what I can tell. Nice!

Do you mean aluminum grey or grey aluminum.
Aluminium grey does not translate into Dutch. As such, I presume aluminium cement in the colour grey is meant, not cement in aluminium grey colour.

Reaction score
At a local store for artist supplies they sell aluminium cement in white and grey https://www.hazelaar.nl/subcategory/S05.01.03/cementsoorten that sends to be good stuff.

Thanks for the tips.
It's brown/black.

If you mix it with sand it will become slightly lighter in color, but it will not really turn gray. For that you will have to mix it with pigment or another type of cement. And then you have a problem because not every type of cement mixes well with alucement. It is better to use a different gray cement. Universal cement from the Hornbach also works well. It has been and continues to be a bit of testing just like with the potters improving their glaze.

Bnana

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks, they call it grey but brown/black does sound less attractive. I thought that you used alucement but I can try normal cement as well. It should be a rather simple shape anyway and with gauze as a frame it should be strong enough with any type of cement that can withstand frost.
Real pottery is no option as I do not have a kiln but this might be a nice addition to the bonsai hobby.

Reaction score
Thanks, they call it grey but brown/black does sound less attractive. I thought that you used alucement but I can try normal cement as well. It should be a rather simple shape anyway and with gauze as a frame it should be strong enough with any type of cement that can withstand frost.
Real pottery is no option as I do not have a kiln but this might be a nice addition to the bonsai hobby.
I'm using different kinds of cement and concrete. I almost tried everything I could get. Yes normal cement should work. Portland didn't work for me, that turns out bleu wen it stays wet to long.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
This gives such a good feeling when a bonsai artist makes a super cool creation from a rock I made. What a masterpiece. (Picture from Bonsai Dream)
View attachment 361388
Cool. Now that is a repotting challenge! Hope the rock is lighter than it looks.

Top Bottom