Still learning, Need advice!!! Soil and Pot advice/opinion for Gardenia Bonsai

sheena

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
So from a previous thread I posted I have learned that the soil that my Gardenia Bonsai is currently in is not the best for it. However, I am having a ton of problems trying to find the ingredients to make my own mix for it. I also got to thinking about it and realized that because in order for the gardenia bonsai to bloom the soil also has to have a certain acidity to it as well. Wouldn't that mean that typical bonsai mix wouldn't be right for this tree? If any of you have any advice as to what I should plant this tree in instead of the peat moss mixture that it is in, I would truly appreciate it!! I did find a site that sells a bonsai mix, what would you think about it? Here's the link to it: http://www.bonsaioutlet.com/soil-potting

I am also thinking that the current pot my tree isn't best for my tree as well, but can't find anything locally that seems to look like the ones I have seen on here. Anyone that can give me some advice as to what exactly to look for in a good pot? Here's a photo of my current tree:
20120305_120445 (1).jpg

Also, any of you who have any experience with gardenia bonsai, I would love to hear any tips, advice, or opinions... absolutely any knowledge you have on the care of this tree! I am here to soak up as much and learn as much as possible! (it's very safe to assume that I know nothing!! LOL!)

Thanks to everyone in advance for any help you can give me!

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Hi Sheena and welcome to the nuthouse.
Hopefully folks with expereince will chime in............ but one thing you will find out quickly is that there is no specific "typical bonsai mix" - soil mixtures change with tree species, climate, size of tree (soil mix sizes)....etc
I found this site with a quick google, not much in the way of soil mix but might give you some other tips....good luck. G
http://www.gardeniacare.net/gardenia_bonsai/gardenia_bonsai.html

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Yes, welcome, I would give this a shot, but don't know a thing about gardenias. I would imagine that they'd want a bit of organics in the soil depending on where you live. (but it's just a guess)
Maybe you could update your profile, so people who know about your climate can help you more.

dick benbow

Omono
Reaction score
Pot wise, I could see your tree in a round glazed pot. I see your subject as more feminine then masculine as it flowers, so my reasoning to see the different pot. I think a sky blue would compliment the blossums and beautiful dark green leaves. If PH was so important, I might get a test kit and make a tea from peat to water it with. That way you could pot it in a neutral bonsai mix and adjust with the watering effort. Unfortunately, I have no hands on knowledge of this tree as bonsai, so will not be able to offer much in the way of acquired knowledge. Welcome Sheena

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Assuming this is the jasmonoides (sp) variety, it is a tropical, you can go for a well draining potting soil with added large grain sand. Gardineas don't like to be overwatered so you will need to be carefull with this soil. If you are used to house plants, this won't be a stretch. This comes from a workshop using the japanese variety about 3 weeks ago.

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
YI have never used kanuma soil ,but it is for lime free plants like you Gardenia.If that is your only bonsai maybe you could afford to buy exotic soil like kanuma blended soil.I am not sure of the watering routine with Kanuma though.I would think that being you bring it indoor in Winter, you could probally get away with using a domestic mix of maybe Dyna-rok and a lime free potting soil.That way it will stay moist while you away at work or whatever.Potting soil does not dry properly in winter rain, but your gardenia be indoors then anyway.Read the label if you get a potting soil.NO LIME or anything that raises ph.Check into retail hydroponics store for Dyna rok.I would probally mix it 2 parts potting soil to 1 part Dyna rok.I use Dyna rok. Cause I can by it retail.And peat is acidic without lime.Your soil may be fine.

Last edited:
Top Bottom