Still some hope

pjkatich

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here are a couple of photos of the wisteria I used as an example in the now infamous "To seal or not to seal" thread.

It's ironic that this particular wisteria was the first to bloom this year. It was in pityful shape the last two years as I battled the trunk rot. Fortunately, it appears that I was able to stop the rot and save this one from extinction. In return, I was rewarded with a nice flush of racemes this year.

Which side do you like?

Regards,
Paul

Attachments

• IMG_0007a.jpg
    IMG_0007a.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_0016a.jpg
    IMG_0016a.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 63
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Paul,

I like the second pic. Not a bad tree!

Now that looks like a mica pot so
.........get busy:D

:p

Bob

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Paul. I like them both. I can't give you any expert reason as to why, i just like them. If I had to pick, the rotted front would be my choice. The shine of the sealant would have to be dealt with but I guess your stuck in a corner. Seal or rot. Either way, nice vine. Hope I can get mine to look like that some day. Thanks for posting as I did not know that rot on a wisteria was a problem.

Bob.

pjkatich

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Paul,

I like the second pic. Not a bad tree!

Now that looks like a mica pot so
.........get busy:D

:p

Hey Rob,

Thanks for the feedback.

Your right about the pot, it is mica. They make good training pots and with the rot situation I did not want to commit a good pot to this wisteria until I knew it would survive.

The good news is, I already have a pot picked out for this one. It's a 16" x 5" round pot finished with an Oribe glaze.

What do you think?

Paul

Attachments

• IMG_0019b.jpg
    IMG_0019b.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 21

pjkatich

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Paul. I like them both. I can't give you any expert reason as to why, i just like them. If I had to pick, the rotted front would be my choice. The shine of the sealant would have to be dealt with but I guess your stuck in a corner. Seal or rot. Either way, nice vine. Hope I can get mine to look like that some day. Thanks for posting as I did not know that rot on a wisteria was a problem.

Bob.

Bob,

Thanks for your input.

As you pointed out, wisteria is a vine. Their centers are nothing but pith. In my experience, if you do not properly treat and seal a large cut, it will rot. And, if the rot reaches the roots, the wisteria will usually die.

Good luck with your wisteria.

Regards,
Paul

R_F

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey Paul,

Great looking tree. I say why choose? Both sides look great. And, with that round pot you have picked out for it you can display both sides no problem.

By the way, how did you stop the rot?

Ryan

Martin Sweeney

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Paul,

It's picture number 1 for me, to answer your question directly.

I like the deadwood contrast to the delicate flowers. Also like the roots on side 1 as well. Side 2 isn't bad as well.

Either would work, good job.

Regards,
Martin

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Paul, that pot should work fine, from what I can tell on the photo.

Do you have any others that you are considering?

pjkatich

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey Paul,

Great looking tree. I say why choose? Both sides look great. And, with that round pot you have picked out for it you can display both sides no problem.

By the way, how did you stop the rot?

Ryan

Ryan,

Thanks for you feedback.

You treat it like a cancer.

First you clean out all the rotted soft material down to the solid pith. Then you should put the vine someplace where it will not get wet for two or three days to let the area dry. Then treat the area with lime sulfur, allowing the lime sulfur to dry completely. Then seal the entire area with a good sealant. I use one of those that come in a tube.

Hope this is helpful.

Paul

pjkatich

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Paul,

It's picture number 1 for me, to answer your question directly.

I like the deadwood contrast to the delicate flowers. Also like the roots on side 1 as well. Side 2 isn't bad as well.

Either would work, good job.

Regards,
Martin

Thanks Martin, your feedback is always appreciated.

How would you suggest I handle the dead area?

As you can see by the photos, the sealant has a good sheen.

Cheers,
Paul

pjkatich

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Paul, that pot should work fine, from what I can tell on the photo.

Do you have any others that you are considering?

Rob,

As a matter of fact I do.

Which one do you favor?

Paul

Attachments

• IMG_0024b.jpg
    IMG_0024b.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 7
Top Bottom