Still tweaking the wireless thermometer alarm...

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I am still tweaking the setting on the thermostat to keep the alarm from going off. It seems to max out above the high setting just .3F difference now. Turned the thermostat down a smidgen...and we shall see. Not sure if the rotating fan when the heater kicks on doesn't set it off at times...depending where in the cycle it's directed and circulating the air. So I am just relocating the sensor now...since it seems to correct itself quickly.

Now...my oldest beat me home yesterday...and I had told them to disregard the alarm if it was only .3F for it would self correct. But, forgot to tell him how to turn the alarm off. So he had it wrapped in a towel under a cushion in the sunroom to muffle the alarm which was driving him nuts. Lol I thought very creative.

Wee

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I added a low temp thermostat to the shed so I could control the ceramic space heater I keep it there for my dog....The temp on the heater would only go down to 50 deg so it pretty much stayed on if it was cold. The new thermostat will go down to 30 deg and has a 3 deg window, it will also work to turn a fan on and off for the hot weather. It was easy to install and works like a charm....Should save me some money on the electric bill and keep the dog happier....I noticed last winter he would be outside sleeping on nights in the 30's even though the shed would be a toasty 50+ deg inside.....I think it got too hot for him.

Brian

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Read back what I originally wrote...that should say thermometer. I have a thermostat that goes way low wired into our baseboard heater. It goes to below 20F. Forget what it's set on right now...Thanksgiving preparations over...just relaxing and can't think with my tweaking it. But I have a thermometer with alarm to make sure it doesn't get to hot when it warms up on a winter day. Not wanting my dormant trees to think it's spring. With us having some still warm days in winter. It's that thermometer that sent off an alarm. I have a fan going 24/7 just for air circulation. I don't think it was the temps...more so the heater kicked on and I'm thinking the sensor was located in way of the air flow being circulated. When the heater came on...it raised it to .3F over my high temp set for the warning. By the sudden heat source kicking on By blowing a gust of warm air at once.But the alarm allows me to make sure it doesn't get to warm in there. It self adjusted quickly. So I think a location move for the sensor was the only thing I need to do now. Seems to be staying steady out of the fans breeze.

That's nice you provide heat for your dog.

Wee

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I read too fast...But to be honest I have never heard of a thermometer....Learn something new everyday....The thermostat I bought can be used as a thermometer as well I just have to switch the wires up.

I'm curious how would you cool it down on a nice 70 deg winter day....?

Brian

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I read too fast...But to be honest I have never heard of a thermometer....Learn something new everyday....The thermostat I bought can be used as a thermometer as well I just have to switch the wires up.

I'm curious how would you cool it down on a nice 70 deg winter day....?

Brian

I don't think we have those in Ohio. :confused: I would think...at the end of winter...if we get warmer days...then, I let it go into thinking it's spring?

This is what I have...this has a sensor. 425' wireless distance from base. :cool:

http://www.littlegreenhouse.com/accessory/meters.shtml

Now I have a thermostat on my wall...wired into the heater. The lighthouse/electric store ordered it in for me. Can't grasp why ones would need one to get so cold...but, I can regulate it to my needs so it works for me.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
If I remember correctly, your son is kind of into computer right?
I would be a walk in the park for him to build a custom sensor based on arduino or raspberry pi.

I have built a water-sensor in the past, which displays a message when the water level in the pots drops below 20%.
It would be easy to hook it up to an alarm instead, and replace the display with a radio transmitter.
Depending on what type of sensor you intend to use (anywhere in between 50 cents and 5 dollars) you could set the range of desired alarm temperatures yourself to the .01 degree.
But, when automating things, why not let it turn off the heating or open a window when temperatures go too far up? No need for alarms, let it do the work for you.

I was able to hook up 4 sensors (temp, humidity, time and soil moisture) and log this to both an LCD and a log file within 2 days of receiving the kit. I have never programmed anything, and I hate electrical work. Anyone with above zero skills could do better ;-)
And it's cheap. I built two of these combined for less than 50 dollars. Battery operated if I want to, so it's even portable.

And if all else fails.. There's always greenhouse pistons: https://www.amazon.com/Gigavent-Automatic-Greenhouse-Vent-Opener/dp/B0036E58H2
I have seen people use them on electrical switches: when temperature went too high, the piston expands and presses the button to stop the heater. When the temperature drops, the piston retracts and pulls the switch back up. That's some caveman-style creativity compared to the arduino, but it works.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
If I remember correctly, your son is kind of into computer right?
I would be a walk in the park for him to build a custom sensor based on arduino or raspberry pi.

I have built a water-sensor in the past, which displays a message when the water level in the pots drops below 20%.
It would be easy to hook it up to an alarm instead, and replace the display with a radio transmitter.
Depending on what type of sensor you intend to use (anywhere in between 50 cents and 5 dollars) you could set the range of desired alarm temperatures yourself to the .01 degree.
But, when automating things, why not let it turn off the heating or open a window when temperatures go too far up? No need for alarms, let it do the work for you.

I was able to hook up 4 sensors (temp, humidity, time and soil moisture) and log this to both an LCD and a log file within 2 days of receiving the kit. I have never programmed anything, and I hate electrical work. Anyone with above zero skills could do better ;-)
And it's cheap. I built two of these combined for less than 50 dollars. Battery operated if I want to, so it's even portable.

And if all else fails.. There's always greenhouse pistons: https://www.amazon.com/Gigavent-Automatic-Greenhouse-Vent-Opener/dp/B0036E58H2
I have seen people use them on electrical switches: when temperature went too high, the piston expands and presses the button to stop the heater. When the temperature drops, the piston retracts and pulls the switch back up. That's some caveman-style creativity compared to the arduino, but it works.
I've actually thought about the vent that opens when needed. Something I might chew over. As to my son...he's a job at Kent State University and finishing his bachelor's...he's pretty busy. I would rather not ask him to do this...he's going to be putting together the memorial video for my dad's memorial. He's got a lot on his plate right now. But the vent thing is interesting. My cold greenhouse isn't all windows. But I wonder if we could replace a window with a vent.
image.jpg

Top Bottom