Stimulus Styrax

faker

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Starting a thread to track progress of this snowbell I tagged at Lone Pine a few months ago and picked up this weekend. I've always loved these as landscape trees, so I jumped at the opportunity when Steve told me he had some in the ground.

The tree is still very rough stock that was dug this season from the field, but I think it has a promising future with a few years of development:

IMG_0541.jpgIMG_0543.jpgIMG_0542.jpg

Plan is to let it get established in the flat it's in for ~2 months, then remove all of the extra wood to leave the obvious trunk line and wire some primary branches and an apex. The desire to carve right now is strong, but I'm trying to be cautious not to disturb the freshly transplanted roots to soon. Roots will also need work next season, so I'll probably try to take some cuttings this year for future grafts.

Unfortunately, there appears to be a paucity of information on styrax online, so any input would be greatly appreciated, particularly if anyone has tips on propagating cuttings.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Bonsai Today 43, 47, 84 have styrax articles. These look like they’re related to the Euonymus, don’t they? I’ve only seen a couple in person.

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Bonsai Today 43, 47, 84 have styrax articles. These look like they’re related to the Euonymus, don’t they? I’ve only seen a couple in person.
The flowers and fruit always seemed similar to euonymous to me.

Starting a thread to track progress of this snowbell I tagged at Lone Pine a few months ago and picked up this weekend. I've always loved these as landscape trees, so I jumped at the opportunity when Steve told me he had some in the ground.

The tree is still very rough stock that was dug this season from the field, but I think it has a promising future with a few years of development:

View attachment 363630View attachment 363628View attachment 363629

Plan is to let it get established in the flat it's in for ~2 months, then remove all of the extra wood to leave the obvious trunk line and wire some primary branches and an apex. The desire to carve right now is strong, but I'm trying to be cautious not to disturb the freshly transplanted roots to soon. Roots will also need work next season, so I'll probably try to take some cuttings this year for future grafts.

Unfortunately, there appears to be a paucity of information on styrax online, so any input would be greatly appreciated, particularly if anyone has tips on propagating cuttings.
Damn I did not know he had styrax like that. Need to make a trip! Great material.

faker

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b

Are these available in a digital format anywhere, or are old copies the only option?

Not sure on the phylogeny, but they do seem similar.

faker

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
The flowers and fruit always seemed similar to euonymous to me.

Damn I did not know he had styrax like that. Need to make a trip! Great material.
I spent a while scouring the field, and I think this was the best one he had, but there were a few good multi trunks!

Btw, not sure if you're in SF proper, but I'll be moving into the city in a few months and staying at least 4 years if you have any tips on good clubs to join.

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I spent a while scouring the field, and I think this was the best one he had, but there were a few good multi trunks!

Btw, not sure if you're in SF proper, but I'll be moving into the city in a few months and staying at least 4 years if you have any tips on good clubs to join.
Just south of SF. And you should look into the Bonsai Society of San Francisco.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Stimmy stimmy styrax!

Sorce

faker

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Got a chance to do some winter work on this guy over the weekend. Coming along slowly but surely...

IMG_1016.jpg
IMG_1017.jpgIMG_1021.jpgIMG_1018.jpg

Any recommendations on dealing with that long unsightly root on the right? My current plan is to try to graft some cuttings close to the trunk to it and attempt to transition from there vs just taking the plunge and cutting it at the trunk.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Got a chance to do some winter work on this guy over the weekend. Coming along slowly but surely...

View attachment 414506
View attachment 414505View attachment 414503View attachment 414504

Any recommendations on dealing with that long unsightly root on the right? My current plan is to try to graft some cuttings close to the trunk to it and attempt to transition from there vs just taking the plunge and cutting it at the trunk.

If you don't want to cut it off, first try air layering the root right at or close to the base.

faker

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
If you don't want to cut it off, first try air layering the root right at or close to the base.
Great idea. I hadn't considered this and haven't ever layered like this before. I'm assuming ring-barking and some sphagnum should suffice?

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Great idea. I hadn't considered this and haven't ever layered like this before. I'm assuming ring-barking and some sphagnum should suffice?

Yes. This works well on maples. I would guess it will also work on this species. Same approach. Ring bark it, place sphagnum moss around it. As an extra step, I cover the surface area with a piece of drainage screen to help keep it damp.

Top Bottom