Stink O Ginkgo

Stickroot

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This Ginkgo was chopped below the graft and is growing female leaders, I won't mind if it never produces stink beans. It has a lot of dead wood on this side, but still growing. Back in the bed it goes.image.jpeg

Stickroot

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I didn't know that you can tell the sex until it matured and fruited or not. If that is below a graft, then how do you identify the shoots as female?
CW
All of the trees were started as female cuttings, faster growing and all grafts were from male buds. My teacher/ MU Woodies Professor can tell the difference in them. I don't know the difference, but I do know that the bud has to be sliced open at a certain time in the season to tell. Also I have noticed that the new whips on males are really green and females are more white.
It will take 20-30 years to get a fruit in a mature tree in most cases.

Stickroot

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for pulling this up!
There are so many I have forgot about. I will have to get some pics. I have not looked at it from closer than 50' or so, but I know it's growing very well for as little roots as it had and how harshly it was treated.
Time is starting to free up a bit, so I can get back to bonsai.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
@Stickroot glad to hear things are clearing up that you can relax in the hobby a bit more. Just bought a chi chi ginkgo so I'm hitting the archives pretty hard. Yours was interesting...and I was very curious at what angle you planted it and such. That it's as old as it is as a species...makes sense now it has a drive to live.

Stickroot

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I know that I planted the biggest leader up, but don't really remember other than that. I'll get pics when it stops raining.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Wow! Looking at that pic I am SO surprised that thing has more than two leaves on it! It has NO roots and major dead wood chops.
I'm excited!
I read in my research. That when one dies off. It has stored energy like other trees get suckers. And those as a defense mechanism grows up around the dead tree. Which is why they have been around for several hundred million years. From what I read. Was pretty cool. Listened to a YouTube video of a professor talking of seeing such a natural habitat in nature of circles with a dead tree in the middle. This photo here makes me think of said comment.
image.jpg

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Here is that turd. It's growing, but it will probably stay where it is for a few years. I have at least 1000 better things to do than stare at that mess in a pot.View attachment 144219
Wow that's grown fast! But yeah it still does need a lot of development for sure. Mine was supposed to be here today, as it shipped out Monday. But nope- FedEx is the worst service and so now it will be in the box a total of five days, if they actually deliver it tomorrow that is. Waited all day for it, and they wasted my time again :mad::mad::mad:

Stickroot

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wow that's grown fast! But yeah it still does need a lot of development for sure. Mine was supposed to be here today, as it shipped out Monday. But nope- FedEx is the worst service and so now it will be in the box a total of five days, if they actually deliver it tomorrow that is. Waited all day for it, and they wasted my time again :mad::mad::mad:
Typical of them.
Let's pray it's in good health.

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Typical of them.
Let's pray it's in good health.
Well it was delivered at TEN THIRTY last night! I get up at 3:30AM for work, so Needless to say I was in bed already By then lol. It's not looking too happy, lots of yellow leaves and such but I'm sure it will be fine. I'll start a thread asap.

Poor fedex delivery man, having to work so much later than normal

Top Bottom