Stoking the fire with a visit to Elandan Gardens.

bonsaiBlake

Chumono
Reaction score
Bering sea, AK Orginally from Vancover, wa
It's been a few years since I posted on here. Happy to say this is the year I'll be purchasing property to start growing large scale.
Went to visit Dan a few days ago at the incredible Elandan Gardens near Bremerton,WA. This was the second time we've visited and he never fails to impress. One of the true godfathers of American bonsai his knowledge of growing and naturalistic styling are second to non.
Snapped a couple pictures of my favorite one in his collection. A lovely 3 needle pine(black?) That gives the impression of a woman lounging on a sofa. Also got a copy of a book written about Dan and his garden, got it signed, it'll sit nicely next to my signed copies of bonsai techniques 1&2(books gifted to me by a former member of this site)
While my collection has suffered dramatic losses due to my becoming a commercial fisherman, my passion for the art continues to grow. I'm down to 3 trees and a few house plants that could be bonsai if I lived somewhere warmer. I'm proud to say than now in my 5th year of being on the water I'm finally at the point of looking for property in southwest, wa to start propagating prebonsai of North American tree species.
Exciting times folks. What started as a hobbyists obsession turned into me working at a retail plant nursery turned into me becoming a fisherman so I could gain the capital to become a grower. Now here we are. I've recently turned 30, single with no kids and a vision as clear as ever.
Blake's Botanical Emporium soon to come.

I wanted to thank this site in particular. The seeds of my bonsai passion were germinated through this website and it feels really good to see it all come to pass. Thanks you guys.

Attachments

• 20210220_111522.jpg
    20210220_111522.jpg
    361.2 KB · Views: 83
  • 20210220_111532.jpg
    20210220_111532.jpg
    262.3 KB · Views: 75

jevanlewis

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
As a PNW resident, I'm excited to watch the development of the Emporium and look forward to visiting one day!

For propagation, what native species are near the top of your list? Do you think yamadori will be a meaningful part of your operation?

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Gnarly Branches, Ancient Trees...by far one of my favorites in my collection. The first book that I ever forgot it was a book and tried to zoom in on a photo. Its exceptional for photography if ones haven't seen it. Well written too.

It's a place to visit on my bucket list...glad you found yourself some time there. Very interesting your plans. I wish you the best with it.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice to see you made it thru the "fish game"! Captain of my HS wrestling team disappeared of the coast off AK back in 2000 or so.:(

I remember you sharing your vision here some time ago, way to stick with the game plan!!:cool:

Happy growing and welcome back.:)

Last edited:

bonsaiBlake

Chumono
Reaction score
As a PNW resident, I'm excited to watch the development of the Emporium and look forward to visiting one day!

For propagation, what native species are near the top of your list? Do you think yamadori will be a meaningful part of your operation?
Western hemlock, Doug first, vine maple, and a few different cedars to start. Collecting wild specimens will absolutely be a big part once things get growing. The goal is to produce high quality native prebonsai. I consider myself a canvas maker, I leave the styling to the artists.

bonsaiBlake

Chumono
Reaction score
Gnarly Branches, Ancient Trees...by far one of my favorites in my collection. The first book that I ever forgot it was a book and tried to zoom in on a photo. Its exceptional for photography if ones haven't seen it. Well written too.

It's a place to visit on my bucket list...glad you found yourself some time there. Very interesting your plans. I wish you the best with it.
A trip to Seattle would be worth your while. 2 awesome bonsai gardens/ collections and tons of wonderful gardens.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Welcome back! My son has gone to Alaska to work the salmon season for the last two summers, this year will be his third. His job is to drive a big truck on the beach to buy fish from the fisherman for the plant he works for. Maybe you have met!! ;):D Best of luck in your new endeavor.

Top Bottom