STOLEN BONSAI!!!

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
STOLEN BONSAI!
One of our Sacramento club members had many bonsai stolen from her yard over the weekend. Here's a partial list of stolen trees:

Seriyu Japanese Maple - young, about 14 inches tall - pot broken off during robbery
Japanese Maple Dancing Peacock Large 30 inches tall, shallow pot broken during robbery - very large, wide nebari, large branches broken during robbery
Japanese Maple grove (5 trees grown together at base, very old) 24 + inches tall, oval mica pot rolled edge inward, at least 24 inches +, 12 inches wide.
Eastern White Pine 18 inches plus tall, probably that wide, round plastic training pot
Japanese green maple, grafted 18 inches tall, grafted branches and roots, 25 years old plus
Japanese green maple, yellow fall color 18-20 inches tall
Japanese maple "Butterfly" Seedling from Tosh Subamaru, grafted lower branch, top removed, stub dead, not yet removed. large nebari, very curved trunk, 20 plus yrs. old
Japanese green maple from Lotus Bonsai, shohin, very curvey,7 inches tall plastic round training pot
Japanese maple "Bonfire" side grafted lower branch, 18-20 inches tall 10+ years old
Azalea "Nikko" from Tomiyama collection, Old, medium size in round training pot
Azalea "Minato" 30" tall, oval cream pot, showing some bloom
Azalea "Kinsai" Midsize, round plastic training pot showing some bloom
Shimpaku Juniper, shohin, double trunk, round plastic training pot.

Plus at least a dozen more.

Please report any suspicious sightings to me and I'll pass them on.

Orig. seedling  1986.JPG IMG_1159minato azalea.jpg

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Jesus Christ!

Thats a mission!

(Dispatch stolen bonsai locating drones!)

I hope whoever finds these people are on the Gun thread! And not afraid to shoot!

Super bogus.

Now probably worthless to them.

I hope they were recently treated with pesticides for winter, so they get poisoned!

Rant over!

Don't come here and try and sell that shit!
Assholes !

Sorce

Nwaite

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wow that's very sad ... I can't imagine going out to my yard in the morning to that.... hope that her trees are found and still in good shape.

Arcto

Chumono
Reaction score
Posting as many pics as possible to the bonsai community would be helpful. Especially if the thieves attempt to sell online. So unfortunate when this stuff happens. Hopefully a lot of eyes are on the lookout. These are pretty hard to hide in an attic or closet.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Posts like this make me sad...

Best way to curtail this is to make sure you take lots of photos of your trees, so you can identify them if they ever come up for sale - anywhere. We need to start jailing some of these crooks.

One of my study group members had a person call him on the phone pretending to be a member of this site. He said he was in town on business and would love to come by and look at his trees. His story didn't add up (plus his phone number was a local area code) so fortunately my friend did not give out his address. He contacted the bonsainut member and asked if he had just called. The bonsainut member said absolutely not...

Be extremely careful who you give out your address to. And buy motion activated lights, a surveillance system, and consider bonsai dogs.

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8

Best way to curtail this is to make sure you take lots of photos of your trees, so you can identify them if they ever come up for sale - anywhere. We need to start jailing some of these crooks.

One of my study group members had a person call him on the phone pretending to be a member of this site. He said he was in town on business and would love to come by and look at his trees. His story didn't add up (plus his phone number was a local area code) so fortunately my friend did not give out his address. He contacted the bonsainut member and asked if he had just called. The bonsainut member said absolutely not...

Be extremely careful who you give out your address to. And buy motion activated lights, a surveillance system, and consider bonsai dogs.

It's sad, but I think this way. I never give my address or even my phone number to anyone I'm selling bonsai stuff or anything in general. I really should get a surveillance system of some kind. Hope goes well and they are found and returned

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Grow BIG trees and keep ugly dogs. Tree photos are essential. NEVER let on you grow bonsai to someone you have known less than a year. The phishing telephone caller is plain creepy

Ron Dennis

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Jesus Christ!

Thats a mission!

(Dispatch stolen bonsai locating drones!)

I hope whoever finds these people are on the Gun thread! And not afraid to shoot!

Super bogus.

Now probably worthless to them.

I hope they were recently treated with pesticides for winter, so they get poisoned!

Rant over!

Don't come here and try and sell that shit!
Assholes !

Sorce

Hey, Sorce, I am not sure how you really feel. You need to be clearer. I totally agree with you!

I have had two trees stolen by the same juvenile delinquent and one other badly damaged by his trying to pull it out of the pot (wired in). Entire back of tree was broken off. The tree, if it survives, will not be back to where it was in my lifetime. At least the pot was not damaged. I am currently shopping for cameras.
My heartfelt empathy and sympathy goes out to this lady who has had so many taken. I pray you can recover your trees.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
A photo record would be very helpful? If you don't have photos I am very sorry,there is no way you are going to be able to prove that the tree(s) if found are/is yours. For the rest of " yous guys" you make certain you have photos of your stuff, there is no excuse for not having them (photos). It's bad enough that law enforcement has about as much concern about this as they have knowledge of it. I have had that happen. The law does not care. The only reason that they might file a report is because they need some toilet papaer.

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
As I said, I posted this for a friend with the only two pictures I had. I'm hoping she will send me more photos to post.
(i have lots of pics of my own trees... and a 130 lb. dog.)

bruce m

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
sorry to hear that,i am in paradise and will keep my eyes open.keep an eye on Craigslist there and i will up here.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sorry to hear this Paul, sounds like someone knew what they were doing and where. I've now read some pretty good ideas how to keep trees safe yet this President can't seem to find one way to keep her citizens safe. Ironic....

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
This makes me sad, I hope the trees get found and returned in good condition.

Fortunately none of my trees are really worth that much at this point but I might want to think about some kind of surveillance system for the future.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Don't draw attention to yourself. A lot of people doing bonsai in my area have never been to my home and don't know where it is. But; it's a lot like I tell these people that call on the phone offering a free security system: I always tell them I don't need one, I am an armed Veteran with a bad attitude. Don't think that because your trees may not be world class they are safe, there are still people out there that will steal them just because they think they might be valuable. I have seen it happen. We caught some 17 year old kid that hit a friend of mine's collection twice. We followed his tracks in the snow to his house.

justBonsai

Omono
Reaction score
There was a robbery at my local bonsai nursery a few months back. A lot of the trees were chained down with very thick linking. The people who stole it must have been to the nursery before and acted with intention not out of chance. Of since it appears that the nursery installed a security system in the bonsai garden. I probably should put more consideration to where I place my trees in the future. Though fortunately my most expensive project is in a garden tub weighing 60+ pounds.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sorry to hear about her losses.
I don't think people like that can even begin
to imagine what it feels like to have something you've worked on for that long taken away in one night.
I would be devastated

Top Bottom