Stolen bonsai

Status
Not open for further replies.

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
This never makes any sense to me. These trees are going to be easily recognizable to those in the bonsai world. Our community is a relatively small one. You wouldn’t be able to sell these, you wouldn’t be able to display them at a show, you wouldn’t be able to take them to a workshop, etc. You would have to completely restyle them and put them into different pots in order to profit off of them. The thieves don’t likely have the knowledge and/or skill to do these things let alone keep them alive.
“Stupid asses” is right.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
This never makes any sense to me. These trees are going to be easily recognizable to those in the bonsai world. Our community is a relatively small one. You wouldn’t be able to sell these, you wouldn’t be able to display them at a show, you wouldn’t be able to take them to a workshop, etc. You would have to completely restyle them and put them into different pots in order to profit off of them. The thieves don’t likely have the knowledge and/or skill to do these things let alone keep them alive.
“Stupid asses” is right.
Well said.
Sad....
Stupid asses is quite a nice way to put it.

Guarantee the thieves have stolen things before.
Every State needs 3 strike laws.
We don't need thieves amongst us.
Put em away forever after the 3rd theft, and be done with it.
Do worse to them and save my tax dollars, is fine with me too.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yeah, if not found they will be dead.
As to making sense of it, that is futile. Some people are addicted to stealing because of the challenge. They play games with themselves and numbers and rarity are important in these games. They more than likely already accomplished what they set out to do .... steal something of value. There need not even be an expectation of profit.
My heart truly goes out to the proper owner of these bonsai. It is heartbreaking at the very least.

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
This is bullshit. Hope the poor things survive, probably are t going to be watered properly, if at all. How did they get them out, every time ive been there have been volunteers poking around in there.

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
That actually makes sense. We do it for pets, why not our bonsai pets.
Exactly. Imagine their faces when the police come rolling up on the same day. It’d certainly make thieves think twice if they knew lots of people were doing it. Maybe even drilled through the base and hidden inside the trunk. No on the spot tampering there.

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
No video system at the garden? They've gotten so cheap we should have one there. Even I have my trees on camera just in case.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
FYI, I was Asked where this is.... Northern GSBF collection in Oakland California. This is a very large ...very public place, with a bonsai collection in the middle of it. The area around it is not exactly the best part of town, and I'm sure there are plenty of predators around this place at night. You can see the collection is just carved out of the park and all the separates the trees from thieves is a 6 foot fence with tile top.

DSC_00640001.JPGDSC_00650002.JPGDSC_00710008.JPGDSC_00850022.JPGDSC_00870024.JPG

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks for these efforts Smoke.
The felon(s) should be thrown in a volcano.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
“Stupid asses” is right.
You're right but by the time they figure this out the trees will be dead.

A. Gorilla

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Well said.
Sad....
Stupid asses is quite a nice way to put it.

Guarantee the thieves have stolen things before.
Every State needs 3 strike laws.
We don't need thieves amongst us.
Put em away forever after the 3rd theft, and be done with it.
Do worse to them and save my tax dollars, is fine with me too.

Classic rookie mistake. You forgot about social justice.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Having been through this process I guarantee you that for the most part the police have little respect for what we do and value so much. I seriously doubt that your police report goes much farther than the waste basket at the police head quarters, if the report got that far at all..

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I am pretty sure these are gang related thefts. Thefts to get into a gang, by stealing something from a prominent place so as to be notorious. With all they had to steal there, this is what they took. If they wanted it for the money, there is much better there to steal.

DSC_00690006.JPGDSC_00800017.JPGDSC_00810018.JPGDSC_00940031.JPGDSC_00970034.JPGDSC_01210058.JPGDSC_01230060.JPGDSC_01310068.JPGDSC_01350072.JPGDSC_01370074.JPG

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think your analysis is right on. they took what was easy.
Able to pass it right thru the fence between the tile top and the actual fence. These imbeciles don't have ladders....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom