Stolen kishu shimpaku from my garden

bdmatt

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Unfortunately, one of my pre-bonsai kishus were stolen from my garden. It wasn't by any means a nice-looking tree yet, but it was my first shimpaku and I saw immense potential in it. The perpetrators also stole about 30 black pine seedlings, a project I started for a club. I've had worries at the back of my head about my trees being stolen, but I've never thought it would actually happen. Fortunately, the other prebonsai at the garden were unscathed, but the perpetrators took the valuable species. They didn't touch any of my prostratas or nanas. The fact that they only went for black pines and kishus lead me to believe that it was someone into bonsai who stole these trees. It's a shame. I was already on the fence about continuing to practice bonsai, but this is just devastating.
1685117776133.png

BrightsideB

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Still that kishu isn’t cheap. That sucks! Deterrence can work. Making them think twice at least. Or also footage can help. Could be someone you see around the neighborhood.

To keep the raccoons from eating eating my fish in the pond. Hooked up a motion sensor to a light and radio. I feel like if a bright light shines on a human and radio randomly started playing in the middle of the night they may remember that’s how a horror movie started that didn’t end well.

May have to be creative but it’s worth a shot. Sorry to hear. Hope you can get them back.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
That's terrible. Mine are all in plain sight and we both work all day, so someone could easily take them. Maybe it's because I live in a tiny town or that my trees suck, but never had any thefts. Sorry you have to deal with that crap.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
That sucks. People are the worst sometimes. I have a couple of cameras, but I doubt they would help if anything was stolen. I'm also friends with Smith & Wesson. :)

I also like to play detective, and I'd be looking at anyone I spoke to or knows about the trees I have.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
They will come back for the rest once they find out some price tags on plants like these. Put up a sign, white paper with black lettering "YOU HAVE BEEN VIDEOTAPED, RETURN THE PLANTS AND NO QUESTIONS ASKED. POLICE WILL GET ALL EVIDENCE ON WEDNESDAY. AFTER THAT PERIOD TRESPASSERS WILL BE SHOT ON SIGHT."

I did that once when kids stole my weed but left half for later. Trash bags with the goods were tossed over the fence and they never stole again. I have no clue why they believed that I was going to report stolen illegally grown weed to the.. police.. but it worked.🤷‍♂️

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
They will come back for the rest once they find out some price tags on plants like these. Put up a sign, white paper with black lettering "YOU HAVE BEEN VIDEOTAPED, RETURN THE PLANTS AND NO QUESTIONS ASKED. POLICE WILL GET ALL EVIDENCE ON WEDNESDAY. AFTER THAT PERIOD TRESPASSERS WILL BE SHOT ON SIGHT."

I did that once when kids stole my weed but left half for later. Trash bags with the goods were tossed over the fence and they never stole again. I have no clue why they believed that I was going to report stolen illegally grown weed to the.. police.. but it worked.🤷‍♂️
I've run into issues before (not recently, thank God) with teens randomly picking fights with adults, believing that because they were under 18 they were protected by law.
I just reminded them that the sort of person to pick fights with strangers isn't the sort of person to call the police, so let's go.
Those sorts of problems haven't come up in a long time.

@bdmatt I'm sorry to hear about it. Don't let this be the thing that makes up your mind. Anything in the yard that's mobile could be a target, not just trees in pots, so you decide what's best for you based on your feelings for it.

But still step up your security for a little while. @Wires_Guy_wires strategy might be effective for getting them back, but no telling.
My dad put just a little box with a phony lense and an LED in his porch window, and has never lost a package since.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
My dad put just a little box with a phony lense and an LED in his porch window, and has never lost a package since.
This is a good idea. I’d even add a small simple common 9-volt battery LED green light for effect. One or two of these for simplified surveillance attention….sort of a fun inexpensive project on a pole that simulates wiring inside the pole.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
There are also cheap battery operated motion sensor lights, some on small solar cells. You might find one at your local hardware store.
These are more deterrents, but done in short order, and combined with the threatening sign; well if you don't get your trees back you at least won't have any more problems.

brentwood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
When we lived downtown, stuff was always walking away- plants, furniture, bikes. I finally got numb to it, figured they needed it more than I, had mental issues (unfortunately true more often than not), but I didn't let it get to me any more. Just not worth being upset, can't really undo it, but I could let it go. Still sucks, very sorry for you.

BrightsideB

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Modern in-ground planting.

View attachment 490523

I don't think those are bald cypress starters. 😁
To bad that’s illegal lol. You can end up being the one who has to pay. Camera’s can be good evidence but having something frighten the perpetrators is what can make them feel the need to leave. Making them realize they are seen.

Top Bottom