sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This really sucks. I've had nightmares about this happening. I stopped keeping a few of my trees on my deck years ago because they were visible from the street. Everything is now behind a seven foot fence, defended by a tangle of junk on the ground and an owner who has a "what's up with that guy?" reputation in the neighborhood. The bull terriers and redneck gun stickers on my truck back that perception up.

Fingers crossed they locate these trees and arrest the scum that took them.

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
It's horrible to hear that, I had an intruder in my garden earlier this summer but luckily I caught him.
@sorce this guy did get taken to beatdownville, then the police station a bit afterwards. Haha I told him if he was ever near one of my trees again it wouldn't be my fist hitting him but my 38 hollow points.
Hope these trees get found.

Aaron

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
FWIW, there are embedded chip systems for livestock that will also work with trees. Chips can be implanted in the soil, or best, in the tree itself--drill a hole, push in a chip. Seal up the hole and wait for the callus. The systems aren't not inexpensive however and are probably viable only for people with a lot of $$ in their trees. Here's an example.
https://www.microchipidsystems.com/product/best-selling-starter-kits/
I would bet there are less-expensive systems--multi chip/reader, though. I haven't searched around.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I know a little about the theft of Susan L's trees. It was someone who is in the hobby, not random juvenile deliquents. The thief must have visited her home as none of her collection is visible from street or back alley. She has clients come to her home, possibly one of them unknowingly gave the heads up to the thief. Her fence to back yard is locked most of time. So thief must have climbed fence and opened gate frome inside.

Key is, thief was someone who knows bonsai, and likely a casual acquaintance of the victim.

hemmy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I know a little about the theft of Susan L's trees. It was someone who is in the hobby, not random juvenile deliquents. The thief must have visited her home as none of her collection is visible from street or back alley. She has clients come to her home, possibly one of them unknowingly gave the heads up to the thief. Her fence to back yard is locked most of time. So thief must have climbed fence and opened gate frome inside.

Key is, thief was someone who knows bonsai, and likely a casual acquaintance of the victim.
Tragic. Is it naive to think that with the internet and social media it should be nearly impossible to sell these trees within the bonsai world? How could you enjoy a tree knowing it was stolen, not to mention never being able to show it to anyone? Do you think there is a bonsai black market for unscrupulous collectors in this country? Here's hoping for their return.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This kind of theft is usually about adolescents and word of mouth, not professional bonsai black marketeers (those kinds of thieves exist, but they're after high-end collections or dealers)

Grant Hamby

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone

I guess there's a bright side. If they know bonsai, the chances of the trees being in good health if/when recovered is probably higher.

38 hollow points

I knew I liked this community ;)

abqjoe

Chumono
Reaction score
This really sucks and I sincerely hope that this individual get's the tree's back! Personally I can't stand thieves and hope that one never decides to make the mistake of entering my property lol. I wouldn't kill them, but, I guarantee that they would be left with life long injuries that would never allow them to forget that 1 single mistake:) I've installed motion detectors that activate camera's in my back yard as well as my alarm and although I'm heavily armed I do prefer getting my hands dirty.

I'm always digging around the interwebs for tree's and will definitely be keeping my eye's open for these tree's.

abqjoe

Chumono
Reaction score
This is the only tree on Craigslist in Wisconsin this morning.... Korean Hornbeam

https://milwaukee.craigslist.org/for/5778326079.html

00O0O_1Wpzfkj0omf_600x450.jpg

00S0S_dJGoYDrFFoG_600x450.jpg

abqjoe

Chumono
Reaction score
I can't imagine living with stolen trees. How could you take any pleasure walking through your garden and knowing that not only isn't the work yours, but it is stolen property?

Yea, it would be a constant reminder of how big of a piece of dunn you are for sure! Not something I could live with either....

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Anyone who is big enough of an asshole to steal a tree (or anything else) doesn't give a shit about who's work it is, or who worked to get it. They just WANT it.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks guys.....

Amen @Bonsai Nut .....we argue about "work that isn't ours"....how about THAT!?

They are soooooooo not a real part of the Bonsai Community, this or any other.

Kinda makes you hope Ma Nature takes it into Her own hands.....
Something bout a Carbon Monoxide detector not working proper and such....

Nighty night douchebag!

Or maybe a rabid mouse has dug into the soil and will come out at night and bite a thief. Inside....you know they are inside!

Ah well....

I guess Having stuff stolen can be worn as a badge of honor.
"Yeah, my shit is that good!"

Bright side.....

Sorce

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
It's useless to deal with the thief's personality... The stolen trees are like kidnapped children for us.

miker

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I am so sorry to hear of this happening, again. I hope the authorities apprehend those responsible and throw them in jail.

As soon as GPS technology becomes available at semi-reasonable cost, I am going to be all over it. A chip that can be scanned to ID the tree's owner is okay, but being able to pinpoint your trees' location in real time, that would be worth it to me.

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I've had a tree stolen and it wasn't even at the prebonsai stage yet, some people ...

c54fun

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That's makes me sick just thinking of anyone's bonsai's being stolen. That was the number one reason why I put up motion sensors and hd security set up. Little piece of mind and well worth the small amount of money spent.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Until they make affordable chips that can be tracked, I don't think it'd help much. With most chips the object has to be found first. The chip only proves ownership when scanned. But if the thief isn't caught, then the chip won't help. At least this is my understanding.
The world is full of douchbags sadly.

Top Bottom