Stolen Trees. Winsconsin. Beat Downs.

eferguson1974

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I just saw new $.50 piece size real time tracker. Works for cars, keys, kids, whatever. But its too big for in a tree, but easily would fit under a tree. I didnt see the price. Its scary tech, in my opinion. But usefull

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Until they make affordable chips that can be tracked, I don't think it'd help much. With most chips the object has to be found first. The chip only proves ownership when scanned. But if the thief isn't caught, then the chip won't help. At least this is my understanding.
The world is full of douchbags sadly.

Tracking transponders send out signals and that requires power-- a big problem for tagging a tree and making it effective 24/7. They're also pretty large and noticeable at this point.

ID Microchips are passive and tiny. They don't require power, but have to have a reader passed over them to register their info. They're also easily concealable within the tree's body. This can certainly help, IF a tree is located. That could mean a tree recovered in some chucklehead's house COULD find its way back to you IF someone uses a reader on the stuff--Or if the tree is seen by others and notifies you or law enforcement, the chip provides positive proof of ownership. That's better than nothing I guess, but it's alot of expense for an uncertain return.

Jarath

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I had a tree stolen at a bonsai auction. Spent $ 38.00 , went to get it and it was gone. So, thievery is every where.

Maloghurst

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
obviously if your trees are in the thousands they are probably insured. Might be a good idea to have them listed on your homeowners or renters insurance for replacement value.

Shima

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11A
Every time I leave I know I could be coming home to empty benches. It's that bad here. There's a FB page called Big Island Thieves. It's very active. Cars disappear from shopping center parking lots and driveways every day. I'm putting double kill-switches on mine.
Meth.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Trackers and identity chips all sound great but once the trees gone it's too late sometimes. Pots get broken,trees get beat up or killed by lack of knowledge. You need to be able to keep people out altogether or catch them in the act.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Until they make affordable chips that can be tracked, I don't think it'd help much. With most chips the object has to be found first. The chip only proves ownership when scanned. But if the thief isn't caught, then the chip won't help. At least this is my understanding.
The world is full of douchbags sadly.

All my dogs are chipped. They have had a fair number of cases of dogs showing up at the vet... and they belong to someone else who has reported them missing or stolen.

justBonsai

Omono
Reaction score
The issue with traceable chips is that they require gps service. This usually means a monthly or annual fee by some provider. I commute a lot on a bike and at one point I was looking into gps devices I could hide in my seat post to help my paranoia of theft. Devices were either too expensive or not concealable. My local bonsai nursery that I visit regularly, San Gabriel Nursery, had a major theft of trees last year. Of since they've installed a security system. All these devices are no more than a deterrent--a serious thief could take your stuff if they wanted.

Generally I would keep trees out of sight from the street. In the past my family used to save a lot of recycle. We kept a bin in the driveway and filled it with cans and bottles. One day someone walked straight into our driveway well into the property grabbed the entire bin and ran off. It was quite a sizable amount of recycle and would of amounted to not a lot but a reasonable amount of pocket cash.

This past year I've begun acquiring a lot better bonsai material that's actually worth something. Everything is kept out of sight but should something get stolen my only recourse would be checking local classifieds and asking for others to keep a look out. Theft definitely sucks :mad:

Top Bottom