Stone club's visit to local river

dick benbow

Omono
Reaction score
netted me three stones that I kept. LOL was one that was not too bad a hut stone. This river has incredible distracting and colorful stones. thought you might want to see what I brought home.

Attachments

• IMG_3033.JPG
    IMG_3033.JPG
    41.2 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_3034.JPG
    IMG_3034.JPG
    43.4 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_3035.JPG
    IMG_3035.JPG
    37.5 KB · Views: 64

iant

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Very nice, I want to do a trip like that sometime.

dick benbow

Omono
Reaction score
Our club has been known to welcome folks from cali to accompant us on our trips if they are ever up this way to seattle. :)

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
How about some trip photos with the river, and surroundings??? (asked the girl starved for mountain country...:eek:)

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thank you Dick,

the first stone brings to mind an autumn leaf...

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
How about some trip photos with the river, and surroundings??? (asked the girl starved for mountain country...:eek:)

While this may a a ittle further south than Dick's neck of the woods, it may give some insight to the surroundings and stones available to pickup.

This is photo's of the Chetco river in Southern Oregon. Very near the border with California. This was an area where one could drive right out on the rock bars. You can drive probably 5 miles in each direction with all this rock scenery to look at. After a while they all start looking the same.

My dog doesn't think this is as much fun as I do...

Thats me finding what I felt was a pretty good start to a natural hut stone.

bout 40 pounds lighter here also

Attachments

• dsc_0214.jpg
    dsc_0214.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 42
  • dsc_0213.jpg
    dsc_0213.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 40
  • dsc_0212.jpg
    dsc_0212.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 38
  • dsc_0211.jpg
    dsc_0211.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 36
  • dsc_0210.jpg
    dsc_0210.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 39

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
After I got home I was able to cut some of the stones. While cutting stones is not my cup of tea, I thought cutting some may improve what I had found. I have never done anything with these. I think many of them are just laying around somewhere. The reddish stone I think is on my BBQ for holding down the napkins while I BBQ.

Attachments

• chetco11.jpg
    chetco11.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 31
  • chetco12.jpg
    chetco12.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 30
  • chetco13.jpg
    chetco13.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 30
  • trinit11.jpg
    trinit11.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 36
  • trinit10.jpg
    trinit10.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 27

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Those two last stones I posted were not from the Chetco. They were from the Trinity in California on the same trip in 2009. Here is a peek at that river.

Attachments

• dsc_0310.jpg
    dsc_0310.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 25
  • dsc_0311.jpg
    dsc_0311.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 25

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Dick,

Any chance you could a clear pic of no. two?

That looks like a keeper.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks smoke, I really like your napkin weight. Nice scenery, and you're lookin good!

dick benbow

Omono
Reaction score
surprised really to see the trinity and high banks, strong flow. Would think the stones from there might be less ground down and rounded as compared with the chetco. Been my experience the higher up in the flow system the less the mountains stones look so worn and carry a little jaggedness with them.

do you routinely cut the bottom? It does make daiza fitting a bit easier :)

SMJ76

Sapling
Reaction score
After I got home I was able to cut some of the stones. While cutting stones is not my cup of tea, I thought cutting some may improve what I had found. I have never done anything with these. I think many of them are just laying around somewhere. The reddish stone I think is on my BBQ for holding down the napkins while I BBQ.

Like the second and third ones,.. great stones! Sadly we are inundated by the likes of limestone around my area and even back home around my parent's place. I went scouring the local creek yesterday as the water was down in it and found only one interesting stone that I'm actually planning on using as a natural landscape for bonsai to be planted in, in the future. It has a nice shallow bowl to itself.
Other than that, what is found around streams here (why I just don't know) isn't even the granite that we have around here,...oh well. Time to scour other waterways around here!!

Top Bottom