Stone Pines

RickMartin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I picked up 3 of these today to play around with. I know they probably won't work as Bonsai but it could be fun, besides for $3 a pieces couldn't really pass them up

Rick

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
How about some pictures and botanical names? You never really know what you have without the botanicals. They used to tell me that about Mugo Pines.

RickMartin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
P. Pinea italian stone pine..i will get pics up tomorrow. to dark out there right now.

Rick

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I've had the same thought to try an Italian stone pine but can't get over the obvious inverse taper you find on them all the time

RickMartin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
these dont seem to have it. my plans for them they wont have inverse taper anyway.

Rick

RickMartin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
You will tomorrow. I just couldnt get good pics of them in the dark. The only issue i see having is they dont like cold from what ive read, but i will figure something out. And like my jack pine there is not much info on them as far as the time of year to do things to them.

Rick

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
You will tomorrow. I just couldnt get good pics of them in the dark. The only issue i see having is they dont like cold from what ive read, but i will figure something out. And like my jack pine there is not much info on them as far as the time of year to do things to them.

Rick
I've read people have them as christmas trees and bring them in for the worst of winter then take them back out in spring, that may be a possibility for overwintering if it gets too cold.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Rick, the Stone pine will be fine when you move to Mississippi. Not hardy in MI. Unless you have a light garden set up that is really very, very bright, the Italian stone pine is likely to languish inside over winter. But as you said, you got them cheap.

RickMartin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Another thing I noticed is this is a 1 needle pine at least I'm only counting 1 needle. My indoor system has some pretty bright light with lots of humidity, so I might try that until the move..I really don't like the idea of a outside tree being inside though.

Rick

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Ernie Kuo did a short article on one in Bonsai Today #59. Not much out there on them.
I'd be inclined to treat them more like spruce than pine.

garywood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Another thing I noticed is this is a 1 needle pine at least I'm only counting 1 needle.

Rick
Rick, the single needle is the juvenile growth needles. Don't even consider doing any work until they produce mature two needle growth.

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Another thing I noticed is this is a 1 needle pine at least I'm only counting 1 needle. My indoor system has some pretty bright light with lots of humidity, so I might try that until the move..I really don't like the idea of a outside tree being inside though.

Rick
I agree with @garywood that's juvenile foliage, the only true 1 needle pine is a native where I am it's the single needle pinion

RickMartin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Nothing is happening to these trees for quiet some time

Rick

RickMartin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Ernie Kuo did a short article on one in Bonsai Today #59. Not much out there on them.
I'd be inclined to treat them more like spruce than pine.

So treat them like a colorado blue??. That sorta makes sense

Rick

RickMartin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Ok here is one of them. This is the smallest of the 3. I still have to pick alot of the miniature tensile they sprinkle all over them out.IMG_20151213_095050266.jpg
Rick

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I have a Picea glauca 'Conica' - Dwarf Alberta Spruce (Pinaceae) for 2 dollar :)

RickMartin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Nice gotta love the bargin bin. Now I just have to keep them alive this winter.

Rick

Top Bottom