Stoned...

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I use a boatload of corn starch.
I do too (boat size depending), on smoother clays, it allows me to texture... Earlier.

🤓

(I still have that bisqued bridge for you, and will be bisque firing once again before fall, to fire a 'scape' piece for you that I have sketched up to replace the one that failed. I could send the bridge NOW.. and the larger piece later, or send a big box 'round fall. Tis up to you, my friend. 🤓)

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
@mwar15 , would you want your garden bridge in old Asian style, or could I go colonial with a 'stone' feature, as well

@19Mateo83 I will be throwing your round, soon... My colors AREN'T quite as specific as I'd like... But I'm confident I can create a piece you'll like.

@Flowerhouse , I'm glazing rounds... So there will be some for you to peruse, soon. And we can work your amount of credit in, if the piece happens to be larger OR smaller. :)

Thank you everyone for your patience... I went through a clay trial phase, experimenting with new clays... And basically had 2 full kiln load failures in a row. I've decided to stick, now, with clay bodies I 'know'.... UNTIL I get a bigger kiln. 🤣🤣

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I do too (boat size depending), on smoother clays, it allows me to texture... Earlier.

🤓

(I still have that bisqued bridge for you, and will be bisque firing once again before fall, to fire a 'scape' piece for you that I have sketched up to replace the one that failed. I could send the bridge NOW.. and the larger piece later, or send a big box 'round fall. Tis up to you, my friend. 🤓)
No hurry, I am as busy as I can be right now.

michaelj

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
What clay is that? Looks nice!

I'd recommend texturing either EARLIER... or using some corn starch on your items.. you want the grog and clay to 'create a surface' as ONE.

Do you get to play "kiln master" as well?

What's your set-up/situation? Let's talk!

🤓

Aside from a large table in my garage, my setup is a community college ceramics studio. This semester (my 4th full semester) will be my first time working the main kilns directly. Up to now, I've only worked the gas kiln we use for raku firing.

This particular piece was made with a stoneware slip that I like to use for unglazed pieces.

michaelj

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
That's a good looking pot. Of course I am all about textures. But oddly enough my other preference is burnished as shiny as a baby's but. A successful texture requires more thought but a good burnish requires more work.

I love that look, but where my skill level is right now, burnishing exposes the flaws too much...

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Aside from a large table in my garage, my setup is a community college ceramics studio. This semester (my 4th full semester) will be my first time working the main kilns directly. Up to now, I've only worked the gas kiln we use for raku firing.

This particular piece was made with a stoneware slip that I like to use for unglazed pieces.
Ok! The stoneware SLIP makes sense for what I was seeing.

Cool! Proper learnin'
...I learned the jungleman way! 🤣🤣

Are the 'main kilns' Natural Gas or Electric?

I LOVE gas (propane) firing to Cone 6-8.. such an interactive process.

mwar15

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
@mwar15 , would you want your garden bridge in old Asian style, or could I go colonial with a 'stone' feature, as well

@19Mateo83 I will be throwing your round, soon... My colors AREN'T quite as specific as I'd like... But I'm confident I can create a piece you'll like.

@Flowerhouse , I'm glazing rounds... So there will be some for you to peruse, soon. And we can work your amount of credit in, if the piece happens to be larger OR smaller. :)

Thank you everyone for your patience... I went through a clay trial phase, experimenting with new clays... And basically had 2 full kiln load failures in a row. I've decided to stick, now, with clay bodies I 'know'.... UNTIL I get a bigger kiln. 🤣🤣
Tough decision…… Asian style

michaelj

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
The main kilns include both natural gas and electric, and we use them for bisque firing, and for firing to cones 6 and 10. We have a wood kiln that is rarely used, and a gas raku kiln that is very popular. We are getting ready to hook up the gas for a soda kiln, too. The professor is a graduate of the Bray, and he's very good as both an artist and an instructor, so I got lucky.

Top Bottom