Stoneware Pots that look like stone

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have been working on these pots for several weeks but have not had much time to invest. Originally I planned it as a winter project but too many family issues kept me out of my studio.
These pots are not for everyone but have been warmly received in my area. These are the rough pots before the oxide washes and / or stains and firing. The need the edges smoothed a bit, fired, stained, re-fired to cone 6. The are all frost proof and made with different clays with a very small absorption value. The clay colors and oxide washes change the colors significantly and by design they are made to look like stone.
These have much work to do and it will be about 2 weeks before I can fire them, another week to stain and re-fire.
IMG_4607.JPGIMG_4609.JPG
IMG_4610.JPGIMG_4611.JPG

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here is a close up study of one just roughed out. It is still drying and has much still undone. The clay is a deep red but it will not look this way when finished. These pots are thick and heavy and uses 5 to 8 pounds of wet clay each.
IMG_4603.JPGIMG_4604.JPG
IMG_4605.JPGIMG_4606.JPG

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Very cool! The texture looks like authentic stone. Are you using a textured silicone pad? What do they look like when they are finished?

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is the other finished one. It turned out darker than intended but I still like it a lot. It does not have feet so a made a groove from the drainage holes to get water to flow. It is 7.5 to 8 inches inside and 2.5 to 3.75 inches deep. This one has fossil imprints on the stone-like surface.
IMG_4612.JPGIMG_4613.JPG
IMG_4614.JPGIMG_4615.JPG

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
How many attempts did it take you to get the colors just right?

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
How many attempts did it take you to get the colors just right?
It's not really right but it is righter than it was. I can't really give you an answer.
Actually, I have experience working with oxides and it is something I have passion for, like all forms of naked or semi-naked stoneware forms. I really have passion for raku, but of course it won't hold up.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I have been working on these pots for several weeks but have not had much time to invest. Originally I planned it as a winter project but too many family issues kept me out of my studio.
These pots are not for everyone but have been warmly received in my area. These are the rough pots before the oxide washes and / or stains and firing. The need the edges smoothed a bit, fired, stained, re-fired to cone 6. The are all frost proof and made with different clays with a very small absorption value. The clay colors and oxide washes change the colors significantly and by design they are made to look like stone.
These have much work to do and it will be about 2 weeks before I can fire them, another week to stain and re-fire.
View attachment 360041View attachment 360042
View attachment 360045View attachment 360047
Glad to see you making pots again.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Glad to see you making pots again.
Thank you Carol. I think of you every time at sit at the potters wheel. I was making my round footed pots a few weeks ago. Using some porcelain now. Sold most of what I made. Will be back at it next week.
BTW, I have been working with purple. Trying to get my combos right. Didn't I say I was thinking of you?

Trenthany

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
I love the fossil imprints! We're in Bone Valley a fossil mecca! I'd love one for a larger tree especially if it could look like limestone! A light cream, white, tan color is what we have. Also where do you sell?

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I do plan to sell these pots. I am open to suggestions but I am not interested in the pressure of custom orders. I enjoy the process of making them and I like the fact that each pot is different. There will be a lot of experimentation along this path regarding clay bodies, oxides and stain combinations, print patterns and whatever else my little mind can envision.
In selling them shipping will be a real concern. They are relatively large and very heavy, and though they are not particularly delicate, they are pottery. I could well imagine spending $20 and more on shipping a single pot, so I haven't figured it all out yet. As soon as my humps molds are dry I will be making some smaller pots for companion plants and small bonsai.
I happen to really like them but I posted here to see the lay of the land. By natural design they are pretty masculine, though they are made reflecting mother earth. I don't expect they are everyone's cup of tea, but I welcome comments and suggestions.
I have a couple numbers in my head, but I am not sure yet how I will price them.

Last edited:

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I am open to suggestions but I am not interested in the pressure of custom orders. I enjoy the process of making them and I like the fact that each pot is different.
I feel the same way about my mame pots.

But really those look so realistic. Do you think USPS flat rate boxes would be cost effective?

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
maybe you could run a stringer like a surfboard or small metal wire retainers on inside (like i have behind my bottom teeth) to strengthen for shipping

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
maybe you could run a stringer like a surfboard or small metal wire retainers on inside (like i have behind my bottom teeth) to strengthen for shipping
I believe weight is the issue for the cost of shipping.

Top Bottom