Stoneware Pots that look like stone

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
nothing to do with fragility?
Thank you for your suggestion but these are not fragile pots. They could experience chipping on edges like any pot but I have shipped a lot of things more delicate half way around the world. Weight is the main issue and their size, if shielded properly, is unlikely to work in a flat rate USPS shipping box. Its not a big deal but it is going to add about $20 - $25 to the price of each of these pots.
Thanks for any and all suggestions.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I've ordered a pot online before where the seller had used a type of expanding foam. The box was just a bit bigger than the pot. When I opened the box there was a cube of foam. It took a while to remove the foam and the pot was inside a couple supermarket plastic bags which blocked the contact of the foam. The pot was really secure basically locked inside the cube of foam.

Could be something to experiment with?

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've ordered a pot online before where the seller had used a type of expanding foam. The box was just a bit bigger than the pot. When I opened the box there was a cube of foam. It took a while to remove the foam and the pot was inside a couple supermarket plastic bags which blocked the contact of the foam. The pot was really secure basically locked inside the cube of foam.

Could be something to experiment with?
I have done this for archaic pottery shipped to China, Japan and Thailand.
If you put it in a Cheez-it box stuffed with Wal-mart bags, it will be fine. ;)
I frequently double box when it is warranted. I don't eat cheez-its or anything else with artificial ingredients. Loved that stuff when I was younger but there is a price to pay. ;)

Trenthany

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
Thank you for your suggestion but these are not fragile pots. They could experience chipping on edges like any pot but I have shipped a lot of things more delicate half way around the world. Weight is the main issue and their size, if shielded properly, is unlikely to work in a flat rate USPS shipping box. Its not a big deal but it is going to add about $20 - $25 to the price of each of these pots.
Thanks for any and all suggestions.
I’d just like to add that in my opinion anyone that balks are $20 for shipping a pot doesn’t deserve the pot. If you want it to arrive intact and undamaged that’s what you would have to expect to spend.

If you ordered a 5 pounds of akadama would you expect it to include free shipping? What about an aquarium? Far more fragile but potentially of similar weight. only if you bought it from Amazon! Lmao.

There are some costs you just have to accept to get a product you want. .

TinyArt

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks. The urchin actually broke so I need to get another
Obviously I’ve arrived late to this thread — really like what you’re doing with texture — a fossil “sea biscuit” might come in handy. We had a few when I was a kid — they’re an urchin-like shape with sand-dollar-like pattern, but solid rock.

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
This finished pot does not have feet. It is pretty flat on the bottom. Inside it is about 11 x 6.5 x 2 inches.
IMG_4616.JPG
If you ever wanted to sell this pot, I would be honored to own it. I really like the natural rustic look, plus the color is amazing!

I'm a big fan of this type of work, and really dig the textures of your pots! I have a Ching Wen pot that is really textured and gnarly, I love it! For some reason, I'm really drawn to this type of pottery; more so than the clean lines and colors of traditional bonsai pots.

If/when you decide to start selling more, I would love an opportunity to buy it!

$20-25 for shipping doesn't bad at all; we could even arrange a pickup if you were so inclined.

Thank you, you have some very nice work!

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you ever wanted to sell this pot, I would be honored to own it. I really like the natural rustic look, plus the color is amazing!

I'm a big fan of this type of work, and really dig the textures of your pots! I have a Ching Wen pot that is really textured and gnarly, I love it! For some reason, I'm really drawn to this type of pottery; more so than the clean lines and colors of traditional bonsai pots.

If/when you decide to start selling more, I would love an opportunity to buy it!

$20-25 for shipping doesn't bad at all; we could even arrange a pickup if you were so inclined.

Thank you, you have some very nice work!
Thank you. I actually planted a tree in that pot and I posted a picture of the planting of a twisted privet. I do have a few pots I thought I would list here, but things are pretty hectic for the next few days. I will try to get it down between other commitments.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I am getting ready to post 3 pots for sale from the same batch of pots that the giveaway pot was from, so they have a similar but different look. They were all fired together with the same stoneware clay body fired to cane 6. I have been calling them Stone look stoneware pots which is a descriptive enough name but redundant and a name I am not stuck on. A few names spring to mind, some serious like simple Stone Look Pots or Stone Edge Pots. Others not so serious like Stoned Pots. But I am tempted to reserve that name for pots with cannabis leaf imprints.
I am asking here for suggestions so if you would be so kind I would love to here some ideas.
Thank you all.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Finally back at work ... when I can.
All the stone age pots are bisque and ready to start the staining process prior to final firing.
Many of the pots on the ware cart are not for bonsai but some are. Everything there is still drying. There is a lot of trimming and sanding to do still.

IMG_5506.JPGIMG_5507.JPG
IMG_5504.JPGIMG_5503.JPG

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Top Bottom