Store seeds 10 yrs?

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I totally want to buy some hornbeam seeds from sheffields,but it states crop year at 2010?
Is it possible for coreana hornbeam seeds to store that long?
I did reach out to him to hear what he has to say,but we keep playing phone tag .

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Don't know but once its seeds are dry the seed coat is impervious and doubly dormant requiring warm and cold stratification. In general seeds become less viable the older they get. Dirr says to collect fresh seed in the fall and plant it outside or cold stratify it.
Which hornbeam are you interested in?

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Kelp really does a good job with dry seed......the gibberellic acid initiates one of the first pre-cursers to germination.He did call me ,but I was unavailable....I am just curious of his germination percentages with seed that old.

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I just will try oriental Hornbeam......never know what a different species will bring to the table.....fast growth may be a +.
I saw shohins from Walter

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I’m sold......just got a 1/4lb of seed from schumacher

Awesome. I will be watching.
I think that is going to be more rewarding than dealing with 10 year old seeds.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I totally want to buy some hornbeam seeds from sheffields,but it states crop year at 2010?
Is it possible for coreana hornbeam seeds to store that long?
I did reach out to him to hear what he has to say,but we keep playing phone tag .
Yes, if kept frozen they should stay viable for close to 20 years. Maybe more.
My oldest seeds are close to 15 years old, kept at -20°C and they still germinate as they did in 2014.
These are perennials, the plants are not even frost resistant.

Most trees that undergo winters and droughts (desert species) produce seeds that can be stored for decades as long as they're kept dry and frozen.
Dessicant pellets should be removed after the first year because otherwise they might draw too much moisture from the seeds. They should be placed back before shipping though, to prevent premature germination.

Tropical species can have a hard time in the freezer. Yet some of them can stay viable way longer than expected.

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Interesting.I ‘m assuming they may grow a tad faster than Coreana’s.
I would like that really.That way can get a bit bigger before I make seedling air-layers.
These Coreana’s are almost 12 weeks....even with co2 pumpin’.Seedlings and layers...all same age!!
These coreana’s probably crawl at first without co2 .91A5851D-478D-49F7-A48C-E1F6B7A25EF3.jpeg2BDC2BB8-95E1-4A08-85A7-6C6FD8109768.jpegFC2A1F77-3F61-457F-9A71-62CB2DA8391C.jpeg5406D84E-BB79-4455-8C39-BE49B602D486.jpegAF4F2506-00B1-488B-86A1-F68397AC8692.jpeg

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes, if kept frozen they should stay viable for close to 20 years. Maybe more.
This is very true and there are wheat seeds that germinated after 2,000 years. But all seeds eventually lose vitality and germination percentages do decline. Of this there is no doubt. Everything is headed towards entropy.

PA_Penjing

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
@cmeg1 just for future reference, sheffields is really bad at updating that part of the website. Every few days I check the "new arrivals" section and the crop years almost never change. They are good at what they do so I assume it's just sloppy website maintanence over them peddling stale seeds, but maybe i'm being too friendly

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@cmeg1 just for future reference, sheffields is really bad at updating that part of the website. Every few days I check the "new arrivals" section and the crop years almost never change. They are good at what they do so I assume it's just sloppy website maintanence over them peddling stale seeds, but maybe i'm being too friendly
Awesomw news....so good to buy wholesale quantities.I will wait till’ I talk to him.....I was considering that possibility.

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Awesomw news....so good to buy wholesale quantities.I will wait till’ I talk to him.....I was considering that possibility.
Tim from Sheffields replied and said seed is stored very well.Their websites sais’ they check viability often by slicing open the seed to see the embryo

Yay! So bought an ounce of the Coreana Hornbeam.Curious to see which grows faster Coreana or Orientalis!

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
May as well start some American Hornbeam also.This is fresh green seed,although hard as stones so I guess they are ripe enough.I picked from about 5 different trees!!!!
Seem to be the Caroliniana variety as I believe ther is a kentucky type also in our aera that have more aggressive serrations.
29AA0154-31C4-47C8-97E3-1CF56A002373.jpeg380F5E2D-6926-4065-AB1A-A5EC62DF0844.jpeg

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
May as well start some American Hornbeam also.This is fresh green seed,although hard as stones so I guess they are ripe enough.I picked from about 5 different trees!!!!
Seem to be the Caroliniana variety as I believe ther is a kentucky type also in our aera that have more aggressive serrations.
View attachment 317943View attachment 317944
Are Hornbeam seeds ripe now? I haven't had much chance to go looking for seeds yet.

Top Bottom