Storm threat is over and I've got sand bags

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Hurricane Nicholas is no longer a threat. Now I have 70 bags of sand. Now what do I do with them?
I can take it to the old house and fix my firing range target area.
or
I can mix it into my garden bed
or
I can scatter it on my lawn and fill in some area that was partially washed away from the last flood.
or
I can stack it and save for the next time (Kinda not wanting to do that since a pile of sand bags is like a condo for fire ants)
What else?

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Time has not ceased.

Sorce
Noted but my thinking is that I can get more sand the next time there is a threat. The parish (county for you) provides it free each time there is a flooding threat. I figure I pay thousands and thousands in taxes to the local guberment, I might as well get a little back haha.
Plus I don't like the idea of having sand bags pile at the house. Too much of a reminder of the years growing up in war. We had a bunker in the house for mortar protection.

Last edited:

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Make sand castles, use them as weights for fitness, learn how to make glass, make a raised bed, make a zen sand garden, make a long jump pit, make you own sand paper, mix it with paint for that textured look, throw it your nemesis eyes and many other uses
I like the way you think.

Last edited:

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Noted but my thinking is that I can get more sand the next time there is a threat. The parish (county for you) provides it free each time there is a flooding threat. I figure I pay thousands and thousands in taxes to the local guberment, I might as well get a little back haha.
Plus I don't like the idea of having sand bags pile at the house. Too much of a reminder of the years growing up in war. We had a bunker in the house for mortar protection.
damn right. i was going to say, you paid for them because NOTHING is free
good for you with being an income tax payer, only one in two do per stats. 48% or so

you have good ideas for using the sand. i was going to say it is a nice amendment for organic potting soil.
can use 50% or 30% sand with bagged potting soil and a lot of plants will do well in it. any succulents and probably others.
might be a use for 1 bag

didnt another storm drop a lot of rain since ida? or it was more texas perhaps

entering this credit card statement (maybe 200 swipes i have to enter, 20 clicks each, 4 head turns each) is killing me today haha

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
damn right. i was going to say, you paid for them because NOTHING is free
good for you with being an income tax payer, only one in two do per stats. 48% or so

you have good ideas for using the sand. i was going to say it is a nice amendment for organic potting soil.
can use 50% or 30% sand with bagged potting soil and a lot of plants will do well in it. any succulents and probably others.
might be a use for 1 bag

didnt another storm drop a lot of rain since ida? or it was more texas perhaps

entering this credit card statement (maybe 200 swipes i have to enter, 20 clicks each, 4 head turns each) is killing me today haha
Yes. It's another after Ida. This was Nicholas that hit Texas and Louisiana. Dumped a lot of rain on us. Was a category 1 hurricane when it hit shore but weakened quickly.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Too much of a reminder of the years growing up in war.

🤔 Sounds like a backstory I care to hear tell of.

I may be a little far out to say, unfortunately, you may need them to serve that dual purpose.
With basic essentials being increasingly difficult for "them" to provide, water, food, electricity, safety, I don't believe it is safe to assume sand will be of priority.

If I may, your reminder, is an only an image you remember, the power you give it then, is a decision you get to make.

I have a large recently building idea that, things as simple as people needing to drive 1-8 hours to work, wether by design or not, is wreaking havoc on a family's ability to be a strong community unit. So that is feeding into to this, that I believe your time is worth more than allowing the system to remove it.

That said, I believe your time is important enough, and you are strong enough, to destroy the current strength of the reminder in favor of your time.

Hell, it's this very removal of our time that depletes our strength to change these ideas we have seated in control over us.

Sorce

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
🤔 Sounds like a backstory I care to hear tell of.

I may be a little far out to say, unfortunately, you may need them to serve that dual purpose.
With basic essentials being increasingly difficult for "them" to provide, water, food, electricity, safety, I don't believe it is safe to assume sand will be of priority.

If I may, your reminder, is an only an image you remember, the power you give it then, is a decision you get to make.

I have a large recently building idea that, things as simple as people needing to drive 1-8 hours to work, wether by design or not, is wreaking havoc on a family's ability to be a strong community unit. So that is feeding into to this, that I believe your time is worth more than allowing the system to remove it.

That said, I believe your time is important enough, and you are strong enough, to destroy the current strength of the reminder in favor of your time.

Hell, it's this very removal of our time that depletes our strength to change these ideas we have seated in control over us.

Sorce
Coming from a country where the now government abuses the populace under the guise of the people, I don't trust or rely on the gubernment to provide anything. I would like it to be as small as possible while providing just the basic needs of security and infrastructure. I am willing to pay as much taxes as necessary for that without complaints. In this case, their provision of sand is like a token to let us know that they are doing something.

You are right about the time. I'm in my waning years. Time is a precious commodity.
In the end, my new place is tiny compared to my previous 6 acre yard. I am saving every square foot for my bonsai projects :) Just for bald cypress alone I have 16.

As for the back story well... let's just say that there was a time we went to bed but kept our ears open to hear the sound of 122mm rockets. As soon as we heard them, we got out of bed and huddled in the bunker made of heavy timbers and many layers of sand bags. Then in the morning we went about our neighborhood to find out which house was hit.

All this talk reminded me how I love trees. My brother and I collected seedlings and planted them 10 m apart on both sides of our street with the approval of the home owners. The street on our block was beautiful with that line of trees for years until the government there removed all the trees to widen the street.

Last edited:

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
There are still another 2 tropical disturbances in the Atlantic. One is likely moving towards Bahamas and then will track north, avoiding the gulf entirely. The other is still just off the Cape Verde Islands and could end up just about anywhere, including the gulf.

But I like the idea of using the sand bags for raised garden beds, filling holes in the lawn, and beefing up the bullet trap of target range.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Bless you Sir.

I'm glad you are here and wish you all the happiest time possible.

Sorce
Thank you!
I love it here. I remember telling the judge in 1980 during my citizenship swear in that my promise to bear arms and defend this country was done in earnest and I knew exactly what it would take.

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Thank you!
I love it here. I remember telling the judge in 1980 during my citizenship swear in that my promise to bear arms and defend this country was done in earnest and I knew exactly what it would take.
love it (appreciate life here). thank you for your perspective
and citizenship

USUS

love mindsets like that. as the world crumbles, its assuring to know there are mindsets like that
all over the place. appreciation, not going down without a fight, and a smile, and dying free

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I ride with the Cajuns!

Sorce

Top Bottom