Strange behaviour on my pine needles

xtolord

Seedling
Reaction score
Hi all,
I've been checking my pine [ pinus elliottii ] this morning, and decided to turn it around to have a check on the growth all around the tree.
The front side it ok, but I've found several strange behaviours on the needles at the back.
The needles are dying out at the middle.

I've added some shots below:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/xtolord/6331073706/in/set-72157624544012446/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/xtolord/6331066766/in/set-72157624544012446/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/xtolord/6330307573/in/set-72157624544012446/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/xtolord/6331056518/in/set-72157624544012446/

Any one ever got this before?
Or heard about it?

Thanks in adv.
Xavier

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Fungi can cause browning in the mid-length of needles like I see in your photos. Were it my tree, I would treat it with a fungicide and carefully remove the affected needles to a plastic bag that is sealed before it goes to the dump. Repeat until it does not reappear (refer to the fungicide instructions or give your county extension agent a call).

xtolord

Seedling
Reaction score
Ok thanks for the reply.
Those are new growth, wont it affect the growth of the tree if I cut it?

Bob O

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Looks like needle cast to me too. As already stated its best to remove the affected needles & trash them. I use Ortho Rose Pride spray about every other week during wet weather to prevent or stop the needle cast.

Hope this helps,

Bob O

xtolord

Seedling
Reaction score
Hi all,
Thanks for the input!
I've cut off the leaves so far.
I'm still looking for a place where I could get the antifungus/spray.

Cheers
Xavier

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I'm still looking for a place where I could get the antifungus/spray.

I have had good results with Ortho 'Garden Disease Control' that I got at a local nursery. I bet you can even get it at a local hardware store - Home Depot and Lowes both carry it - about $15 a bottle, IIRC.

xtolord

Seedling
Reaction score
I have had good results with Ortho 'Garden Disease Control' that I got at a local nursery. I bet you can even get it at a local hardware store - Home Depot and Lowes both carry it - about $15 a bottle, IIRC.

Hi,
Thanks for the info.
I dont reside in USA, I'm in tropical island Mauritius.
We do have nurseries and hardware stores, but its tough to get any useful info out of those guys if you dont know what to look for.
Sometimes they even sell things they dont even know what its used for... :rolleyes:
There are some specialized nurseries that I know I'll get the quality and the service, but I'll have to wait for the weekend to be able to make them all.
Those I tried so far only had fertilizers and growth hormones for different growth states.

If I really dont get any luck, I'll try to get on via net.

Thanks again!

xtolord

Seedling
Reaction score

Hi,
Thanks for the info.
I dont reside in USA, I'm in tropical island Mauritius.
We do have nurseries and hardware stores, but its tough to get any useful info out of those guys if you dont know what to look for.
Sometimes they even sell things they dont even know what its used for... :rolleyes:
There are some specialized nurseries that I know I'll get the quality and the service, but I'll have to wait for the weekend to be able to make them all.
Those I tried so far only had fertilizers and growth hormones for different growth states.

If I really dont get any luck, I'll try to get on via net.

Thanks again!

treebeard55

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
Xto, I suggest you do a Google search on those brand names that were mentioned, and find out what the active ingredient is in each one. Then look for locally-available fungicides with the same active ingredient(s).

Top Bottom