strange bugs

esteve59

Yamadori
Reaction score
any one know what these are....they look like barnacles with some slimy creature inside
suggestions what to treat with..

Attachments

• P1020627.jpg
    P1020627.jpg
    178.1 KB · Views: 38
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Those are scales, though I don't know the type on your Malpighia.

Treat with a systemic insecticide. Or you can try some other home remedies.

Aren't they strange creatures? They begin life as a little crawling bugs then develop on a branch. They go through a similar life cycle of a muscle...

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The most effective way to get rid of scale is to squash them by hand. Not a huge job on a small tree, but still takes some time.

Some plants have adverse reactions to some systemics...Systemics an take some time to work as it makes its way up the stem of the plant. Could take weeks before it's fully effective

Regular spray-on poison has to be applied at exactly the right moment when scale is vulnerable (in its larval "crawler" stage). If such sprays are applied to scale that is already hardened off in their shells (as is the case in the photo) it just rolls off of them harmlessly.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I found Neem oil to be effective against scales. Be warned that neem oil (or any horticultural oil spray) should be used only when temps are cool (else your plant may be roasted) and some plants do not like it so check compatibility first.

I agree with the pick and squish method esp. for this type.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
You can also dip q-tip in rubbing alcohol and paint each scale... if you don't want to squash them.

Top Bottom