Strange but true...

Katie0317

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
I've known for some time that human urine has been used by some rose growers but it's not something I've ever discussed or cared to know more about. I just shrugged it off as a weird thing.

NOT dog urine but human.

I came across this article in Scientific American...Apparently it's a 'thing' in many parts of the world. I was very surprised to learn how many parts.

It's sterile and high in many nutrients...well, you can read it.

canoeguide

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
It's also the secret ingredient in butterfly gardens. They love the stuff.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Urine from any animal has a high content of urea which is high in nitrogen and a very common component of many fertilizers. So honestly it makes sense that humans would find a use for their own free fertilizer

berzerkules

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
According to popular lore in India, Gandhi whitened his teeth in his own whitener!
It goes back farther than that I think. I heard the Romans where into whitening their teeth as well.

You can also make things go BOOM!!!!

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
It's sterile
Contrary to popular belief, urine isn't sterile.
There are a lot of bacteria living in a bladder, all of them harmless, and most of them are hard to culture in a dish and easy to kill.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Watering the lemon tree is common in Australia.
I make good use of urine for both vegetables, fruit trees and the ornamental garden.

Human urine is (or has been) used for a number of other things:
In making cloth and dying
Cleaning (ammonia). It is still used in conserving and cleaning paintings
Soap making

Urine is a valuable source of nutrients so i cannot understand why some of us tip it all down the drain?????

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well into the early 1900s urine was so valuable to tanneries that they went from door to door picking up people's urine and paying for it. If you didn't have enough urine you were considered piss poor. A very poor person didn't have a pot to piss in.

Dzhokar

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Also useful in the compost pile. If you have excess browns (carbon) and not enough greens(nitrogen).

Mapleminx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Let’s not forget how much it stinks though as it’s fermenting 🤢🤢

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
This is not new : the city of Paris has installed urinals since 2018, the bottom is filled with straw to filter the urine, and the top has plants. I saw a report of a company that gathers the... liquid and treats it so it doesn't smell and can be used as a fertilizer.
Maybe a small step for Paris to get cleaner...

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Well into the early 1900s urine was so valuable to tanneries that they went from door to door picking up people's urine and paying for it. If you didn't have enough urine you were considered piss poor. A very poor person didn't have a pot to piss in.
...Which is also the origin of the old saw of being so poor that someone didn't have, "...a pot to piss in, or a window to throw it out".

Meijer Gardens in Grand Rapids where the Michigan All-State Bonsai Show is held every Mother's Day has urinals that collect pee. I always wondered what they did with it.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
It does help keep animals away from tender plants :) This is for rural area only. City slickers need not practice lest po po come visit.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Lets not forget the Romans used to wash their clothes with urine

Dzhokar

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
You know... we may need all these tips when the covid pandemic goes into phase 3 and transitions to zombie apocalypse mode.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Lets not forget the Romans used to wash their clothes with urine
Since we talk about strange practice. The Chinese use urine of young boys as medicine for certain illness.

Top Bottom