Strange but true...

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
from big brother, i mean google:

While butterflies sip nectar from flowers, they also sip any urine that has collected on the flowers and leaves any chance they get. Urine is a butterfly's best source of vitamins and is a pretty useful fertilizer for the garden too!

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You know... we may need all these tips when the covid pandemic goes into phase 3 and transitions to zombie apocalypse mode.
Zombie urine can be a problem.
Since we talk about strange practice. The Chinese use urine of young boys as medicine for certain illness.
There is actually some logic to that.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
There is actually some logic to that.
I am not arguing. My grand uncle was a medicine man and I've spent a lot of time working for him preparing the medicine. While some of them may not be very effective, most everything has been time tested through the years and years.
Take Ma Huang for example. I was taught the very careful use of Ma Huang in Eastern medicine. When I saw it first being used in the West decades ago as weight loss supplement, I just shook my head and predicted the ban that was surely to come.

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
My boys who are 5 and 7 will go outside to pee, even when they are inside and the bathroom is only a few feet away. . .
sometime i go out back with the pup and we both relieve ourselves...mosquitos are very bad right now and west nile
detected 10 mins from my house, trying not to take a hit on the mosquito bit

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My grand uncle was a medicine man and I've spent a lot of time working for him preparing the medicine
So cool. I have read a lot of books on Shamanism, it would have been cool to have actually studied with a shaman.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
sometime i go out back with the pup and we both relieve ourselves...mosquitos are very bad right now and west nile
detected 10 mins from my house, trying not to take a hit on the mosquito bit
That is some bad stuff.
We have really pissed off mother nature.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
So cool. I have read a lot of books on Shamanism, it would have been cool to have actually studied with a shaman.
Actually from where I came, medicine man is pretty much a person practicing medicine in a pure medicinal way. There is no conjuring of spirit, which is a part of Shamanism. I don't know enough about Shamanism to comment. My grand uncle simply has books and books and books that describe plants and trees with medicinal effect. The books go into details on how to grow, collect, prepare the parts of the plant that has medicinal effect, dosage for use, and interaction with other ingredients. I wish I have those books. Too bad they were all burned!

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
too much of a good thing is a bad thing. Lawns get big yellow patches from dog urine...

Kvolk

Seedling
Reaction score
While a medical school I commented one day on the vitality of the rubber tree plant in one of the professors office. There was only a small frosted glass window in his office and the plant was up against a radiator which was under the window He said, “Do you want to know the secret? Every Monday morning it gets the first voided urine. Then I add another quart of water. Sometimes I have to come to work early on Mondays. After I do that and Dr. Wilson stops in and smokes a cigarette you don’t want to come in here. It stinks.” Dr Jubiz was a favorite with the students and house staff.

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Not all of the chinese cures are proven to be effective.

What? You mean rhino horns or pangolin or bear bile don't work? :oops:

I'll have to cancel my orders then. It seems "golden showers" are more efficient and much cheaper on plants.

Never tried it on a human being, but some of my trees may have benefitted from the nitrogen and sugars on a summer bar-b-q with friends. I understand why some rocketed after, huh huh... 😄

Last edited:

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Depositing urine in an urban back yard can get you on the registered sex offender list. Hanging your unit out in public is considered socially in poor taste.

Definitely add water, urine is often too concentrated undiluted and can damage more sensitive plants. Diluted is it like any urea fertilizer. Urea is not usually absorbed directly, the soil and leaf microbes have to break it down. Ammonia is absorbed directly. Amino acids are absorbed directly (which is why fish emulsion or fish lysate is so effective). Nitrates and Urea take time, energy and usually the help of microbes to be absorbed.

Zerobear

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I've known for some time that human urine has been used by some rose growers but it's not something I've ever discussed or cared to know more about. I just shrugged it off as a weird thing.

NOT dog urine but human.

I came across this article in Scientific American...Apparently it's a 'thing' in many parts of the world. I was very surprised to learn how many parts.

It's sterile and high in many nutrients...well, you can read it.

Probably off subject, but I worked (QA) for the Hyland Diagnostics Division of Baxter Healthcare in 1979 (Baxter Laboratories back then), at Baxter's Round Lake, IL facility. Among other things, we made the standards used to standardize medical laboratory equipment (expensive little freeze-dried vials of blood serum, plasma, blood cells, urine, etc.) One important source of raw materials in the urine standards was the purchase of employee urine. All restrooms in the employee areas had shelving units, with plastic containers. When you went to take a whiz, you collected your urine and then stored it in your labeled urine storage container. After each pay period, your check included your salary and payment for however much urine you collected. Was a decent way to make enough extra to take the kids out for burgers after payday. What was the most valuable urine? Pregnant woman urine! They got extra money (higher value) for their urine.

One more piece of useless info. The Hyland, CA facility produced equine based standards, with the base biologicals collected from several horses that Hyland owned and housed on a farm out there. One horse (I can't remember his name) had worked for the company for years and over the course of his lifetime was the source of multiple millions of dollars of finished product value raw material (Urine and blood serum). When he died of old age, they buried him on the farm with a granite gravestone that would have made any funeral memorial company proud. He was probably the most valuable employee Hyland Dianostics ever had.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
11B
Since we talk about strange practice. The Chinese use urine of young boys as medicine for certain illness.
No only for medicine, Tong zi dan are a traditional delicacy of Dongyang, which consists of cooking chicken eggs in a special element, the urine of small children under 10 years of age 💀

Top Bottom