Strange Deciduous Bonsai

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Looks like Sambucus Nigra. At least, the knobs on the branches, the hollow branches and the color of the wood and the foliage hint towards that.
They used to be all over the place back when I was a kid. Really versatile shrub, but brittle and tends to die back easily. But it never dies completely.
Weird smell on the wood too. I can't describe it really, it's a mushroomy but sweetish smell. Really off compared to actual trees wood. I see this as a 'true' shrub.

The seeds are easily spread by non-migrating birds. If you've seen those white flowers in the neighborhood, this is likely an offspring.
I'm not sure if the Sambuca (the beverage) is related to this plant.

AJL

Chumono
Reaction score
Easy to grow as a garden or hedgerow shrub but probably not a great choice for Bonsai, long internodes and stems tend to rot back from pruning wounds.
However its flowers are great for making Elderflower champagne ! you only need 6-10 flower heads, a bag of sugar and a gallon of water-
Its so easy to make, mildly alcoholic and ready to drink in @3 weeks!! very refreshing served chilled on those long hot summer nights...Hick!!

Vali

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If it really is elderberry you should watch out because in nature, at some time after flowering, the tree/shrub gets filled with some sort of green and black bugs. All the time, no matter the location

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
the tree/shrub gets filled with some sort of green and black bugs.
you mean aphids I suppose?

Any advice for growing them?
Put them in the yard. Let it grow there. Do not grow as a bonsai, unless you like your bonsai non-refined, with large leaves and flowers and soft trunks :)

Top Bottom