Strange reaction with cut paste/putty on chinese elm

Scrogdor

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
So I used the glue type cut paste to cover a trunk chop on my chinese elm a while ago and I guess you aren't supposed to double up with the clay type putty. I was worried about water getting in so I figured the clay was easier to tell if there were cracks/holes so I just covered the past with clay. Today I saw a small slit in the clay and I pressed on it and orange liquid came out. I then removed the clay layer and the paste seemed wet and there was a bubble, I pressed on the bubble and I kid you not a dark RED liquid oozed out of the bubble.

Has anyone had any experience remotely like this? Currently I'm letting the chop air out for the night so I can try and remove all the gunk and do a clean layer of putty. Either my tree is a demon and bleeds blood, or a bug or something got in there and caused some weird reaction.

My other theory is that with the putty on top caused the underneath to heat up so the paste became liquid again.

PA_Penjing

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
it's called mucilage, it's a jelly like substance that some (all? most?) elm trees produce when they've been wounded. I don't know why it was dark red though.. maybe a reaction with the cut paste? My chinese elms produce clear jelly when I wound them. maybe it discolors to brown eventually, I don't remember know that I'm talking about it

Scrogdor

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
it's called mucilage, it's a jelly like substance that some (all? most?) elm trees produce when they've been wounded. I don't know why it was dark red though.. maybe a reaction with the cut paste? My chinese elms produce clear jelly when I wound them. maybe it discolors to brown eventually, I don't remember know that I'm talking about it
I wish I was recording, it freaked me out. I removed as much of the past as I could let it dry out for about 3 hours then covered with putty.

PA_Penjing

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Thinking about it more... I'm wondering if that mucilage is protective enough that chinese elms don't need cut paste. Kind of like how pines bleed sap and heal their own wounds. Don't know how I'm ever going to google that. I guess trial and error. again.

Top Bottom