Strange spots on JBP needles

tstrum

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have had this JBP since early July, its my first JBP. It has been growing excellently since I got it, very vigorously. It hadn't been decandled this year, not sure if it had been ever to be honest. At the moment it is almost a bush with tons of needles everywhere that are all quite long. I say all this to say that there are places that pests could hide or a fungus, too I guess.

I found these strange spots on a handful of old needles (needles from at least last year or maybe even older). Not sure if this is normal for older needles (I doubt it, but don't want to take any extreme measures if its not a big deal) or if its pests/disease - related.

I would greatly appreciate help diagnosing the issue and let me know what the best treatment should be.

Attachments

• file1.jpeg
    file1.jpeg
    83.7 KB · Views: 33
  • file-1.jpeg
    file-1.jpeg
    95.7 KB · Views: 35

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Looks like needle cast. A fungus. Spray with Daconil and/or a copper based fungicide.

tstrum

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Will Bonide copper fungicide (10% copper octanoate) work?

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Sure, Bonide will work. So will benomyl that is the active ingredient in a number of brands of fungicides.
A peroxide spray of 2 tablespoons of 3% hydrogen peroxide (standard grocery/pharmacy stuff) in a quart of water will work as well. The nuclear options remain as a film that will nix a re-infection for some time whereas the environmentally friendly peroxide spray only effects what is there at the time.

You may also want to remove the needles that look like this - they will never improve in appearance. Then it will be much easier for you to tell if the infection is continuing, plus your tree will look better.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Problem is, needlecast fungal diseases get inside the needle, and surface sprays are only marginally effective.

I also use a product like Cleary's 3336 granular systemic fungide a couple years ones a year.

Top Bottom