Strangest trees

Forrestford

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I found this crazy ficus today at a nursery. It doesn’t make sense to me.
What’s the craziest/strangest tress youve ever seen?
Pics or it don’t happen
4F14D88C-671A-4164-B50E-03D29CD56E91.jpeg

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
This bengamina ficus "too-little". I imagine it's a rooted cutting grown. It's quirky sort of penjing in looks. Yes, I bought it. Lol just because it's so darn unusual...I can't make heads or tails from it.

Growing out the entire right side for my chosen front so no wire to allow it to grow unhindered. But sometimes it's fun to turn it so you can see it's quirky almost raft appearance. Using that description lightly.
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Walter Pall

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I guess that’s the Walter Pall theory...if you’re working with ‘ugly’, embrace the ugliness...

What a damn nest of wrapping roots on a tray. To each their own, but that thing is seven shades of shit if you ask me! Lol

You have not understood the concept at all. The quote is: Contrary to popular belief bonsai art like all art is NOT about beauty, it is about impression. One can easily impress with beauty as almost everybody does in bonsai (most of the time including myself) but one can also impress with ugliness.

The bonsai in question is neither beautiful nor is it impressive. So this is absolutely NOT a good example.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
You have not understood the concept at all. The quote is: Contrary to popular belief bonsai art like all art is NOT about beauty, it is about impression. One can easily impress with beauty as almost everybody does in bonsai (most of the time including myself) but one can also impress with ugliness.

The bonsai in question is neither beautiful nor is it impressive. So this is absolutely NOT a good example.
I agree on all fronts but one and I should have done a better job explaining.

Placing the hornets nest of roots in/on a planting like that looks to be an attempt to impress with ugliness and or leave an impression. Agreed also that it’s absolutely NOT a good example, but the intent seems to be there. Otherwise its a ficus, hack that mess of roots off in summer and it would hardly skip a beat. Summary being I think there was ‘intent’, but a poor subject and poor execution.

Forrestford

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
This bengamina ficus "too-little". I imagine it's a rooted cutting grown. It's quirky sort of penjing in looks. Yes, I bought it. Lol just because it's so darn unusual...I can't make heads or tails from it.

Growing out the entire right side for my chosen front so no wire to allow it to grow unhindered. But sometimes it's fun to turn it so you can see it's quirky almost raft appearance. Using that description lightly.
Thats a cool little tree. it looks like it was fused

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Thats a cool little tree. it looks like it was fused
Thanks. It's one that is questionable on my bench. Lol but...that's what I am after.

Now as Adair nicknamed without knowing it would stick.

The bog monster...a black olive.

How it arrived.
image.jpg

Now that it's grown out...
image.jpg

And a member here did up a virtual for me...which seems like a good direction possibly. Thanks again @petegreg !
image.jpg

Lou T

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a

I guess when you’ve been in the biz as long as you have, you’re allowed to gatekeep what’s considered beautiful. Still going to disagree on subjective interpretation and call that tree beautiful.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Here is an odd display that is busy. Some will find it repulsive. Lol
Not traditional for sure.View attachment 225042View attachment 225041

I feel like the most impressive tree in this display is the pine on the top right, but the setup pulls my attention away from it toward the little tree-in-a-bag. The windswept one on the left reminds me of hedonism bot from Futurama.

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I feel like the most impressive tree in this display is the pine on the top right, but the setup pulls my attention away from it toward the little tree-in-a-bag. The windswept one on the left reminds me of hedonism bot from Futurama.
Oh yes the pine is fantastic.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Here is an odd display that is busy. Some will find it repulsive. Lol
Not traditional for sure.View attachment 225042View attachment 225041
The flowering windswept. I have always heard not to use flowering trees. But, the entire concept of the way they used the crescent stone like pot with no soil...assuming roots are below it. Is intriguing. Took my eyes off the rest of the display. That I missed the pine until I read another comment on it.

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
The flowering windswept. I have always heard not to use flowering trees. But, the entire concept of the way they used the crescent stone like pot with no soil...assuming roots are below it. Is intriguing. Took my eyes off the rest of the display. That I missed the pine until I read another comment on it.
I do like the windswept but I don’t want to.
I keep thinking why would you plant it like that??? Plus I don’t like the stand that it’s on.
Or at least not with this tree.
When is it not proper to show flowering trees?
Not being smart- A real question.

All of these should be cohesive- I just don’t know how. Lol

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I do like the windswept but I don’t want to.
I keep thinking why would you plant it like that??? Plus I don’t like the stand that it’s on.
Or at least not with this tree.
When is it not proper to show flowering trees?
Not being smart- A real question.

All of these should be cohesive- I just don’t know how. Lol
No, that flowering trees should not be used in the windswept style. Blooms would be desecrated by wind if you think about it in nature. That's all.

Top Bottom