Stratification - larch

Adamski77

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8/9
So I’m trying to grow some larches from seeds… first time doing this. Took around 100 seeds collected in autumn directly from trees and 14th of January started cold stratification. Put around half of seeds in water for roughly 20 hours… than separated once that drowned from ones that were swimming… ultimately ended up with 3 groups (1) dry, (2) moisted/drowned, (3) moisted/swimming. Put on wet paper towel for 6 weeks into refrigerator (4 degrees Celsius).
Today during my weekly check discovered that some seeds started to germinate… interestingly enough only the ones that drowned when being in water at the beginning of the process… rest is still dormant. Loaded this part today to the grow box and see if they manage to grow. Couple of things/questions:
(1) germination in refrigerator doesn’t seem like normal course of action… what happened?
(2) only ones that drowned started to germinate… rest still dormant… or dead?

Not overly concerned as this is first attempt to learn something new but really curious why.

Attachments

• D68DE419-852C-4DE4-B85E-4BBEF428FE99.jpeg
    D68DE419-852C-4DE4-B85E-4BBEF428FE99.jpeg
    117.2 KB · Views: 11

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Your terminology of dry, drowned and swimming seeds is quaint. Your results however are expected. Fertile seeds sink and non living seeds float as a general rule. Also, seeds frequently sprout in refrigerator and this is one of the reasons they need to be monitored.
I am very glad you have some sprouts.

Adamski77

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8/9
thank you for clarification... appreciate. First of all had to check "quaint" in dictionary... English is not my first language... and fully agree... it is 100% quaint ;) . I was primarily reading about the stratification and growing from seeds... and doing it first time wanted to perform little experiment hence dividing the seeds into three groups... seems it wasn't exactly "per book" approach... but we learn every day.
Let's see how the sprouts go... planning to put all remaining seeds in the soil in a week or so (by than would be full 6 weeks of stratification)... hope for some more sprouts.

hampton

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I’m shooting for the same end goal but took a different tack - I sowed 100 larch seeds in a grow box in the fall. Hoping to get some sprouts once spring arrives. Good luck with your seedlings and enjoy spring.

JEads

Mame
Reaction score
thank you for clarification... appreciate. First of all had to check "quaint" in dictionary... English is not my first language... and fully agree... it is 100% quaint ;) . I was primarily reading about the stratification and growing from seeds... and doing it first time wanted to perform little experiment hence dividing the seeds into three groups... seems it wasn't exactly "per book" approach... but we learn every day.
Let's see how the sprouts go... planning to put all remaining seeds in the soil in a week or so (by than would be full 6 weeks of stratification)... hope for some more sprouts.
I find that larch will sprout without stratification. I usually soak them overnight (12hrs) and toss the floaters. You should stir them well in the water before soaking them to make sure that they all get wet. Sometimes they are hydrophobic and don't take on water the same. So: put them in water, stir them well, soak them overnight, toss the ones that float and plant the sinkers the next day.
In a warm environment, they usually come up in a week or so.
Enjoy your new trees!

Top Bottom