Stratification questions.

Silentrunning

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have been less than successful at starting trees from seed. I have followed all the refrigerator/ freezer instructions. I have tried in sand, top soil, potting soil, mulch, etc. I have rarely gotten over 20% germination. This year I would like to plant the seeds in pots in November and put the pots in the ground. My thinking is that they would stratify the natural way and I may have better results. My plan is for Mugo pines, short leaf pines and Japanese Maples. Has anyone tried this? I don’t want to waste time and money if this is a bad idea.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Old seeds can be a problem. Germination rates of seeds tends to decline with drying and time.

I've had good luck with 'fresh' seed that I collected. I place 6 to 12 seeds on a 1" x 2" rectangle of plastic (like cut from an old food storage bag), folding the plastic over them and place this 1" square into a fold of dampened paper towel (a 'select-a-size rectangle folded twice - plastic in the second fold) which then goes into an food storage bag (with maybe a few more damp towel assemblies). After six weeks, I remove the bag of folded towels from the refigerator and after a few days at room temp, I open the towels to remove and plant any germinated seeds. Then I close them back up, and return them to the refigerator to repeat this process again 4 to 6 weeks later.

I have dusted hard to germinate seeds with GA3 (gibberelllic acid type 3) after placing them on the plastic. I got essentially 100% germination of Stewartia pseudocamellia seeds I collected (after a year in the refrigerator).

@milehigh_7 put Deno's book on seed germination in the BNut resources. It has just about everything you would want to know and then some. In fact, my method of stratification came from Dr. Deno. The little sheet of plastic makes it so much easier to pick out the germinated seeds!!

Drink.

btw, one can use the old two tablespoons of 3% peroxide in a quart of water solution to dampen the paper towels and nix most fungi/mold that are likely.

Drew

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I bit like what I have done with these JBP seeds:

Capture.JPGimg_3481.jpgimg_3480.jpg

Although this batch was let go a little too long before I sowed them but they still grew fine

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
As Oso indicated, having fresh seed is the only way to have good results. I've grown something or other from seed every year the past few years. Best results I've had are when i know i have fresh seed. Poor results are when it's purchased seed that are at least a year older or more.

BonsaiNaga13

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I get my seeds from treeseeds.com, they advertise their seeds are fresh and I've had high germination rates on everything I got from them. I do the paper towel method and plant in bonsai soil after a root sprouts. Any failure happened after germination. Squirrels love pine nuts so honestly starting inside and waiting till the seed coat is shed or the second set of needles show to move outside is a better idea unless u have an anti critter setup

Top Bottom