Strawberry guava. Will it live.

c54fun

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Not much to post but I thought I would start a thread on this tiny guava. My big tree grows so well I thought I would give this little one a chance. Not much here but who knows. Be pretty cool if years down the road I could look back and see the progress. I'm just hoping it lives at this point.
20170902_200815.jpg
20170901_155315.jpg
20170902_201144.jpg

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
As long as it is wired in securely to the pot I see no reason it should not be ok. I don't repot until it recovers, sometimes leaving them for a year or more in a tiny propagation pot. Others do though and it most times works out. I have 3 tiny one's that I received this season. Been cut back once and are three time's the size now. As you mentioned in another post - fast growers.

Grimmy

c54fun

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
As long as it is wired in securely to the pot I see no reason it should not be ok. I don't repot until it recovers, sometimes leaving them for a year or more in a tiny propagation pot. Others do though and it most times works out. I have 3 tiny one's that I received this season. Been cut back once and are three time's the size now. As you mentioned in another post - fast growers.

Grimmy
Its wired in. Usually I do let them recover and then put it in a pot. Didn't on this one. Will be fun to watch grow. Will do something interesting with the trunk.

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Its wired in. Usually I do let them recover and then put it in a pot. Didn't on this one. Will be fun to watch grow. Will do something interesting with the trunk.

It honestly is a good starter from what I see - good one :)

Grimmy

StoneCloud

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Starters are great!!

I've got so many for one purpose....so i make this statement one day:

"yea...you know, I've been growing this one for 36 years. " :cool:

Tree will make it hopefully I will too!

c54fun

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well it died because of me. So I have another. This one I let recover before putting it into a pot. I didn't disturb the couple of tablespoons of soil. Wired it into the pot and noticed that even though the trunk is super small it was already hard as a rock. I decided to wire some shape into it now. I can see you must wire when the branches are small for sure. It seems pretty happy at the moment. Love being able to put movement into the base of the tree. Be a fun project to watch grow. All I want for now is movement in the trunk line and then chop for taper again and again. It will take a long time but will be fun to see.
20170914_105842 (Small).jpg
20170915_175639 (Small).jpg

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
I honestly don't think you can kill them. They have no natural pests in the US so the only things you need to worry about is fungus and over/under watering. Very tough. I have had the leaves get burned off 3x from 120F+ till they were nothing but sticks and a few days later new leaves popped right back out. I really like them. I just tell folks not to put them in the ground.

c54fun

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I honestly don't think you can kill them. They have no natural pests in the US so the only things you need to worry about is fungus and over/under watering. Very tough. I have had the leaves get burned off 3x from 120F+ till they were nothing but sticks and a few days later new leaves popped right back out. I really like them. I just tell folks not to put them in the ground.
I think you right. You cant kill them. I gave up on it thinking it was dead. Cut the top off and its been sitting in the shade with very little water and today I was going to clean out the pot and noticed little buds popping out. Gave it some well needed water and looks like it may grow.
20170917_122543.jpg

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
The three small Strawberry Guava I procured from @milehigh_7 are doing great. Never took them out of the 3 inch rooting pots, been trimmed back to 4 inches tall a few times, and they just keep filling out and again in need of a trim. What I am finding with them and loose substrate is watering though until the tray fills a bit, leaving overnight, then dumping the tray next day, and then repeating in 3 days is their "happy place" here -

IMG_1459.JPG

Excuse the purple tones, forgot to the adjust the camera and you are seeing Full Spectrum Lighting. The wall and trim are snow white and the plants are deep green :oops:

Grimmy

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Friggin awesome! Thanks for the Smile!

Grimmy

c54fun

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Made me smile too. I bought this little Groot for my girlfriend. She will love it. Ordered a bigger one for me to put by my desk :)

Top Bottom