Street Collected Euonymus

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I agree that it would be best to get as much of the field soil out of the roots as you can.

Cut back any big roots HARD. This is especially important on the bottom. Cut everything that is sticking down. Get the root pad as flat as possible now.

Once you have the roots in order cut the top back HARD as well. Cut back everything that is more than ~12" above your root flare and reduce everything below that point to two at each split. Your tree is going to be strongest at collection and can handle this work. You will get lots of backbudding.

I only get one push of growth a season so I don't remove anything until fall.

A. Gorilla

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I agree that it would be best to get as much of the field soil out of the roots as you can.

Cut back any big roots HARD. This is especially important on the bottom. Cut everything that is sticking down. Get the root pad as flat as possible now.

Once you have the roots in order cut the top back HARD as well. Cut back everything that is more than ~12" above your root flare and reduce everything below that point to two at each split. Your tree is going to be strongest at collection and can handle this work. You will get lots of backbudding.

What is your threshold for "fall"? Is it comparable to single flush pines where you want next years buds to form before winter? Or are you cutting it back after leaf drop?

A. Gorilla

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I collected a very nice one last year. I don't think I'm kidding myself when I say the list is not long of those which have a nicer trunk. Movement, taper etc. I don't want to screw it up, and I'm glad I didn't do anything stupid so far. You're the only one around here who has much to say about them.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a

I'm sensing a theme here. I'm going to trust in the tree (and to some extent, the fact that y'all have been doing this for quite a bit longer than I have), and work it hard withing the next few days.

Do I understand you correctly to do roots and shoots both at this time?

Hyn Patty

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Mine is doing really well and has produced a second round of leaves after I had cut it back - back buds I suppose you'd say since those buds were already present but had been dormant when it first leafed out. It's in bloom now with tiny green flowers and I am so pleased with how this one has been coming along in such a short time. I am eager to go hunting for more another one or two! I also pushed hard when I wired it and even managed to bend some fairly stiff branches so that I think it's getting a nice shape. No die back, no breakage. It seems to be a tough plant that can take some abuse and still carry on looking cheerful. I think you'll really like working with it and you can be a little bold once it's had time to settle in and grow for you for a while. It's also a pretty cheap plant to pick up as nursery stock. Keep us posted on how yours does for you!

euonymus flowers.jpg

Hyn Patty

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes. My apology but I had to wait until daylight and for the pounding storms to pass by. I also posted them to my thread so not to hijack this one out of respect for the original poster. Feedback is welcome because I really don't know yet what I am doing - though I am enjoying the start I have on this plant. Long, long way to go and it needs years of growth. I've been told to repot it (and can as soon as we complete our move this month) but I may prefer to put it into the ground over a tile or flat stone and try to grow a little more girth to it.

https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/burning-bush-euonymous-alatus-compacta.32886/page-2

Scroll down. I'm not supposed to double post so linked you.

Gaitano

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Mine is also in full leave now, probably one of the first to break bud. The first is the air layer from my landscape tree. The second is the collected tree, which is also starting to flower. As you can see I'm letting it run. I may give it a trim once the leaves harden off. Both are strong growers and showed little die back after this screwy spring.

Attachments

• IMG_3814.jpg
    IMG_3814.jpg
    328.5 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_3815.jpg
    IMG_3815.jpg
    377.4 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_3817.jpg
    IMG_3817.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 15
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Buds here are just starting to open. The nursery-find is moving faster than the street-collected one.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I look back at all that fear and hestitation. Look at it now! You guys were right (shocker). It had plenty of juice to use for spring fuel. The flowers are cute.

I cut back bunches after collection - and now I see I could have gone back even further. TONS of shoots from everywhere. Even down on the trunk at the soil line!

I am looking forward to watching the growth this growing season.

Those roots weren't exposed at potting. The plant settled in a wierd way, or maybe new roots pushed the plant up?

IMG_20180518_171008232_HDR.jpgIMG_20180518_170933355.jpgIMG_20180518_170905323.jpgIMG_20180518_170852030.jpg

Hyn Patty

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Mine has likewise gone nuts with plenty of new buds. And the second flush of leaves are way bigger than the first. I’m letting it just grow and do whatever it wants and feeding it for now. There will be time later to do a touch up trim for fall display and get it ready for winter and spring.

Top Bottom