Stress response or needle cast?

FinnLakk

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8Ab
So my pines have had a bit of a rough spring. They've had an impromptu repotting early spring thanks to some vandals, since then the weather's gone between the occasional 20°c days and the rest of the time non stop rain/sleet and freezing night time temps, and a little too much organic in the soil mix. So they have been a little bit wetter than ideal.

Candles are extending and they seem to be growing happy but I've noticed discolouration/ die off on some of the needles, some of which have distinct banding around the needles which I believe is a sign of needle cast?

The first two photos are of a standard mugo, the other two trees photographed are wintergolds so the yellowing tips I'm not concerned about.

I've had a dig around in the soil and can't see anything moving around in there. A good hunt thru the foliage doesn't show any signs of beasties either. Soil smells fresh too.

Looking for some expert advice?
Should I quarantine from other trees?
I can't remember where, mirai podcast I think, mentioned watering with sugared water can be a good remedy for pines in ill health?

if possible I would like to avoid any nasty fungicides etc, I'm hoping it's just stress from a rough beginning to the year but I also don't want to leave it to fester if it is something I should be taking action on.

Apologies for the ramble just wanted to get all the information in.

Cheers, Finn.

Attachments

• IMG_20220419_130054.jpg
    IMG_20220419_130054.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_20220419_130051.jpg
    IMG_20220419_130051.jpg
    184.4 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_20220419_125943.jpg
    IMG_20220419_125943.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_20220419_125932.jpg
    IMG_20220419_125932.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_20220419_125918.jpg
    IMG_20220419_125918.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_20220419_125254.jpg
    IMG_20220419_125254.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 57

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Photos are not really close enough for a good look at the needles. Most of the yellowing I can see is at the tips and that's not distinctive for needle cast.
I spotted one single needle with a couple of brown bands on what looks like a mugho - photo 4 (125932) A couple of bands is probably not enough to diagnose needle cast.
Symptoms usually show up late spring or summer as the needles open and extend. If it was there and affecting the trees there would be far more signs on those needles from last summer.
Just keep a close watch for multiple yellow bands on the needles as they grow this summer.
If only tips are affected I'd say that's much more likely dehydration and could be related to the recent repotting, sometimes also related to newbies being spooked by tales of root rot and under watering their trees.

FinnLakk

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8Ab
Photos are not really close enough for a good look at the needles. Most of the yellowing I can see is at the tips and that's not distinctive for needle cast.
I spotted one single needle with a couple of brown bands on what looks like a mugho - photo 4 (125932) A couple of bands is probably not enough to diagnose needle cast.
Symptoms usually show up late spring or summer as the needles open and extend. If it was there and affecting the trees there would be far more signs on those needles from last summer.
Just keep a close watch for multiple yellow bands on the needles as they grow this summer.
If only tips are affected I'd say that's much more likely dehydration and could be related to the recent repotting, sometimes also related to newbies being spooked by tales of root rot and under watering their trees.
Thanks!

It seems to have not uploaded the worst photo:Screenshot_20220419-143422.jpg
But even this isn't too severe.

I should have specified they are all mugos, two of them are karstens wintergold cultivar(brighter, yellowy needles), one of them is just a standard mugo.

Dehydration could be the case as prior to repot they were thrown around my garden when I was away for 4 days so I'm not sure how long they were out of their pots then, trimmed off dried up roots and stuck them in some pond baskets. I use chopsticks for checking water and I am checking them daily.

Thanks for the information though I really appreciate it. I shall continue the study over the summer and hopefully report back with positive results!

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
The more recent photo shows older needles that are likely going to be dropped anyway this growing season. I suspect age and mild physical trauma to be the cause of the yellowing.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Agreed, look for needle cast on young needles. The damage shown is similar but not quite typical rings of color right round the needles. So many things can happen to a needle in 2 ort 3 years to cause damage.

FinnLakk

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8Ab
I suspect age and mild physical trauma to be the cause of the yellowing.
Agreed, So many things can happen to a needle in 2 ort 3 years to cause damage.

This was my initial thought process aswell. I thought it would be naive as a newbie to just charge on with out asking for opinions.

I'll keep an eye on this year's growth, they're getting a rest this season that's for sure.

Thanks for taking the time to get back to me, I appreciate it

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Since they got tossed out of their pots and you for jow for how long, I would leave them alone other than fertilizer and water this year to let them recover

FinnLakk

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8Ab
Since they got tossed out of their pots and you for jow for how long, I would leave them alone other than fertilizer and water this year to let them recover
That was the plan for the next year or two, was hoping to leave the repot til at least the summer if not next but my hand was forced unfortunately.

The deciduous are waking up so I've got plenty to do anyway 😅

Top Bottom