Strobus

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I found myself at the Depot this morning, getting some new light bulbs....I'm using a PTO day for my daughter's birthday party.
I was heading towards the check-out register when I got that strange urge to look at the garden center real quick.....I'm already there....ya know.

This EWP with some short looking needles caught my eye from a distance.
Its a regular Pinus Strobus, not a dwarf or anything like that.

Getting ready to open it up a but here....and see what I can see.

(The obligatory explanation of why waste my time....I really love EWP in nature and the landscape around here....To me, its one of our most beautiful native species. That's basically it.)

20190822_150009.jpg20190822_150027.jpg20190822_150047.jpg

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Well.....that got out of hand quickly....

I reduced the whorls to bar branches for now.....began to notice what looked like Needlecast so I removed all seemingly infected needles and sprayed with Daconil.

Anyway, I'll be curious to see if the tree develops a bunch of new buds for next year.....its pretty late in the season for a cut back like this.....though still in the mid 90's.
20190822_154325.jpg20190822_154259.jpg20190822_154304.jpg20190822_154332.jpg20190822_154314.jpg20190822_154339_Burst01.jpg

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
really love EWP in nature and the landscape around here....To me, its one of our most beautiful native species
Was in the mountains this past weekend hiking, white pine all over the place there, I can begin to understand your appreciation for the species.

All I see here all loblolly :rolleyes:, maybe literally 1 pine in a thousand here are virginia...

Hope this one treats you well, good luck!

Sansui

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I like them too. I've held this one in a full-nelson for about 10 years and it is finally tapping out. Collected in central Maine as a sapling. The lighting is pretty bad in the photo. It is not anemic. Also have a 'Macopin' EWP cultivar I'm trying as a bonsai.

Attachments

• over the water pine.jpg
    over the water pine.jpg
    276.4 KB · Views: 66

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I found myself at the Depot this morning, getting some new light bulbs....

I was heading towards the check-out register when I got that strange urge to look at the garden center real quick.....I'm already there....ya know.

Every. Single. Time. 😂

Happened to me yesterday, in fact. In an inexplicable and uncharacteristic display of bonsai self-control, I managed to escape with just the terra cotta training pots I went for. Until next time anyway....

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I like them too. I've held this one in a full-nelson for about 10 years and it is finally tapping out. Collected in central Maine as a sapling. The lighting is pretty bad in the photo. It is not anemic. Also have a 'Macopin' EWP cultivar I'm trying as a bonsai.
That's a beauty!
More pics?

Sansui

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks. Maybe later on. I spent my money keeping the family in smartphones. I use a flip phone like Mr. Buffet. I'll need to drag out my old fashioned digital camera....

BuckeyeOne

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I understand your appreciation of the EWPs.
I lost one earlier this year due to lack of care knowledge. Lesson learned. (I hope!!)
Replaced it with this one.
Still trying to decide on styling direction.

Attachments

• EWP5.jpg
    EWP5.jpg
    223.7 KB · Views: 36
  • EWP4.jpg
    EWP4.jpg
    237.9 KB · Views: 31

Sansui

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yes indeed, followed by the oxalis, liverwort, false green kylinga, sycamore and elm seedlings..............:(

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I've had a strobus or two or more for 42 years. One I worked on for 28 years before I put it in the wood chipper. I still have a few. Strobus will endlessly frustrate any attempt to be turned into Bonsai. Hope you are able to prove me wrong.

I suggest putting your efforts into JWP or Limber pine, or Southwestern white pine. They all have more potential to mimic a majestic old strobus, than a strobus does.

Right now my new project is a needle juniper that I'm going to try to shape it like an old strobus. They wild ancient strobus is majestic.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I've had a strobus or two or more for 42 years. One I worked on for 28 years before I put it in the wood chipper. I still have a few. Strobus will endlessly frustrate any attempt to be turned into Bonsai. Hope you are able to prove me wrong.

I suggest putting your efforts into JWP or Limber pine, or Southwestern white pine. They all have more potential to mimic a majestic old strobus, than a strobus does.

Right now my new project is a needle juniper that I'm going to try to shape it like an old strobus. They wild ancient strobus is majestic.
Haha, point taken Leo!

The problem I have now is, I think a small JBP I brought into my collection this year may have infected my Mugo and EWP with Needle Cast.

Been hitting em weekly with Daconil....gotta get my hands on that Clearys stuff Adair was talking about, I guess.

I was not happy when I realized this.....its like the good Lord above just doesn't want me to own pine trees (or elms....damn Blackspot is unavoidable! 😠).

I'm loving my 2 Bald Cypress trees though....they seem to like me too.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Haha, point taken Leo!

The problem I have now is, I think a small JBP I brought into my collection this year may have infected my Mugo and EWP with Needle Cast.

Been hitting em weekly with Daconil....gotta get my hands on that Clearys stuff Adair was talking about, I guess.

I was not happy when I realized this.....its like the good Lord above just doesn't want me to own pine trees (or elms....damn Blackspot is unavoidable! 😠).

I'm loving my 2 Bald Cypress trees though....they seem to like me too.

Copper sulphate and micro-nutrients (iron, mg, mn, mo, zinc, etc) sprays eradicated my needle cast infections in a single year. My strobus isn't bothered with it though, at least not yet. Even though it has been in full contact with both the infected needles.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Copper sulphate and micro-nutrients (iron, mg, mn, mo, zinc, etc) sprays eradicated my needle cast infections in a single year. My strobus isn't bothered with it though, at least not yet. Even though it has been in full contact with both the infected needles.
Interesting....thanks Guy!

Top Bottom