Structural Pruning of Japanese Maples

thatbonsaiguydb

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
i have a deshosho i believe that is an air layer...

i was going to move this maple to cold garage soon, in a week or two,
and was wondering it you think itd be advised to do some branch pruning (no hard cuts of the trunk) just branch selection?

thoughts? i could wait until spring too

was even tihnking of repotting and taking it down to 5 or 6" and restarting there
but rethinking that now and might be able to find something in branch selection now, root work and repot in spring. it doesnt have super low branching...some lower buds i do see on it popping pink noses out of trunk

@thatbonsaiguydb

while at it, okay time of year to do a little wiring on the trident? lower left

thanks,
Tom

View attachment 408400
Hey Tom. I'm a bit late. It's good to see you making plans to get them on their way to become a bonsai. That airlayer is just a plain Acer palmatum.

I agree with @clem, airlayer it. That was my plan.

thatbonsaiguydb

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks Derek...I'm going to layer it in late March hopefully

I airlayer from April thru mid May. Due to the crazy unpredictable weather we have. Hoping it doesn't snow in May, lol.

So you have time.

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I airlayer from April thru mid May. Due to the crazy unpredictable weather we have. Hoping it doesn't snow in May, lol.

So you have time.
haha good call, and damn lol, i really should push that effort to April!! smart and i think i will

counting down the days! i used a dog poo bag for my first acer air layer last year, blue color, worked great
but i got a bunch of the plastic mold pods for this year...prob could have used chobani cups but i have heard a lot of good things about the pods, ease of watering etc. and i got sphagnum moss for this upcoming spring, used MG cactus succulent mix for last year...

have a nice Christmas, stoked on the trees i bought from you, will be in contact in future on another visit if youre down

-Tom

thatbonsaiguydb

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
have a nice Christmas, stoked on the trees i bought from you, will be in contact in future on another visit if youre down

-Tom
I've used plactic Walmart bags, ziplock bags, store viggies bags, and always had success. The pods looks fun though. I hope you have great success.

You can visit anytime. Give me a heads up.
Happy holidays my friend.

Derek

Top Bottom