Structural Work on Japanese Maple

AndyJ

Shohin
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I've not been too well this year and haven't looked after my trees as well as I wanted to. Broken trunk on JW due to poor thought and planning, wire cutting in to beech branches, dead trees that fell off the bench and I didn't notice....

Anyway, I'm feeling a little better now and had a look at one of my JM and found another tree I'd wired and forgotten about. The wire has bitten in quite a lot and I fear it will take years to recover. I've had a look and think I can redesign it by cutting off the scarred trunk.

So my question is, am I too late to do this now? Still a few weeks of growing possible this year - will it be OK? Or do I wait for next summer?

Thanks all,

Andy

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
In Japan they sometimes actually leave wire on the trunk to make it thicken up faster. Peter Chan talks about this in one of his recent videos on his YouTube channel.

AndyJ

Shohin
Reaction score
In Japan they sometimes actually leave wire on the trunk to make it thicken up faster. Peter Chan talks about this in one of his recent videos on his YouTube channel.
I think Peter Chan is referring to that techniques use on pines isn't he? I don't know if I'd like to do that on a maple

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I think Peter Chan is referring to that techniques use on pines isn't he? I don't know if I'd like to do that on a maple
Maybe it was in his video on pines. At any rate can you air layer above the wire marks?

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yeah, cutting now can still work. It gives you a start on closing the wound, which would continue next year. With a bit of luck you might still get one good flush before years' end.

ysrgrathe

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
A photo would help.

Top Bottom