Study Bonsai in Korea

BunjaeKorea

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
So I had a meeting with the President of the Korean Bonsai Association and others in the Association and have the go ahead to make an English language bonsai course in Korea. It would be the first such course and I am how accepting expressions of interest.
Please let me know if you would be interested. The course itself would likely be around 70 hours in total.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Interested.....Online course? In Korea?
Hmmmm....however....I’m just a deciduous person.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice!
I think it will be difficult to get traction as Korea is less known for bonsai, outside the inner circle of know-it-alls?

Reaction score
I might be interested but I need more details.

Covered topics
Who is the bonsai artist and who is presenting the course
Course structure and length

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Then you’ll love working with Korean Hornbeam!
Yes I would. And I even have two Korean Hornbeams...although quite young yet...but one is notably interesting and deserving of me learning more.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Nice!
I think it will be difficult to get traction as Korea is less known for bonsai, outside the inner circle of know-it-alls?
I think it’s an opportunity to learn and embrace new opinions, talents, differences and skills with an open mind to simply learn more. Sometimes a new teacher is a great influence. Probably, like you say...not easy and perhaps difficult, but well worth a firm try.

BunjaeKorea

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks I am still working on putting everything together. The course will be in Korea not online. The teachers would be Masters from the Korea Bonsai Association and of course I will be there.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks I am still working on putting everything together. The course will be in Korea not online. The teachers would be Masters from the Korea Bonsai Association and of course I will be there.
Well.....I can’t go to Korea. But, perhaps you can include in an article some of the highlights and perspective from what you take away from the course.

BunjaeKorea

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
What sort of level are you looking at?
The first course will probably be aimed at a foundation to intermediate level. The core basics of proper wiring skills (lots of it🤣) , horticultural and botanical knowledge, soils as per species, knowing how to fertilise what and when etc etc etc

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Sounds like a great thing for Korea. It could help gain more awareness of your country's masters and their amazing trees as well as species which might not be known around the world.

This is an aside, but maybe you know. Is there any knowledge of a bonsai movement or interest in North Korea? Im not sure how someone would find out but has there been any indication that the artform has any kind of foothold there?

BunjaeKorea

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Sounds like a great thing for Korea. It could help gain more awareness of your country's masters and their amazing trees as well as species which might not be known around the world.

This is an aside, but maybe you know. Is there any knowledge of a bonsai movement or interest in North Korea? Im not sure how someone would find out but has there been any indication that the artform has any kind of foothold there?
The last news I heard is the only trees there exist for the sake of the 'dear leader' and the majority of their forests have been burned in the kilns. The people were so hungry in the last few famines that they ground pine tree bark to extend their flower .......
Wouldn't be hopeful that the art exists apart from an extreme few working for the top dog

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I think some kind of tour programme could be a great starting point, both to see if there's enough people wanting to do this as well as for you, to get an idea of how this all works. I'm up for a Korean tour through nurseries and museums. But not so much for going to Korea and spend my time in a class/workshop.

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The last news I heard is the only trees there exist for the sake of the 'dear leader' and the majority of their forests have been burned in the kilns. The people were so hungry in the last few famines that they ground pine tree bark to extend their flower .......
Wouldn't be hopeful that the art exists apart from an extreme few working for the top dog

Thanks for this, very interesting.

Top Bottom