Study group (newbies)

nagatay

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hello l have a request for some suggestions on how to handle this problem. I belong to a club. I would like to start a learn and work group using local nursery junipers. I have approached the President for approval. His reply was no. We don't have any set things we discuss. We have weekly meeting and everyone works on their own. However the President is only working with bonsai for two years. I am learning for the past 5 years and still trying to learn.
Must of the other's are new this past year. Thanks for the suggestion a newbie

nagatay

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Run for POTBC.
President of the bonsai club.
I would, but he does not want to leave and I don't want to make the newbies uncomfortable. Thank you for your reply I will keep i t in mind

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would, but he does not want to leave and I don't want to make the newbies uncomfortable. Thank you for your reply I will keep i t in mind
Where are you living?
Thụ Thoại

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Set up a study group out of people interested.
Neutral place.
If it isn't against some club bylaw.
Then you might need to go rogue.

nagatay

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Set up a study group out of people interested.
Neutral place.
If it isn't against some club bylaw.
Then you might need to go rogue.
we don't have any bylaw that I know of. This club meets indoors at a designated center. Which is included with our due of yearly. I am going to ask him, it i can send out an email to the new members of the would like to join me in this learning process. Thanks for your help.

Rid

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
we don't have any bylaw that I know of. This club meets indoors at a designated center. Which is included with our due of yearly. I am going to ask him, it i can send out an email to the new members of the would like to join me in this learning process. Thanks for your help.
Why did you ask the question if you’re going to ignore the advice?

nagatay

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Why would you need the president’s approval to invite a few interested club members to your place and work on junipers?
he feels that they should work on their own, because he already had someone else them junipers.

nagatay

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't want to sale them anything. I want to suggest they go to there local nurse y and start from there with new matterial.

nagatay

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Why did you ask the question if you’re going to ignore the advice?
sorry for asking. I am trying to find the most pleasing and non argument why for the club and our new members. I understand your statement. However. I just want to help and not lose new members. thank you for your reply and I realize my hands are tied.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Well, it would seem to me that if you wanted to just work on junipers, bring junipers to your weekly meeting. Sit at a table, and invite anyone else who brings junipers to also sit at your table. And if you see someone who appears to be pretty good who is working at your table, you might ask for his or her opinion on one of your junipers. You can ask them what they are doing with their trees to improve it. After 15 minutes or so, you have created a “study group”. You might mention you will be bringing junipers in for the next few sessions, and anyone who wants to focus on junipers is welcome to sit at your table and join in.

If they don’t want to, they don’t have to.

nagatay

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well, it would seem to me that if you wanted to just work on junipers, bring junipers to your weekly meeting. Sit at a table, and invite anyone else who brings junipers to also sit at your table. And if you see someone who appears to be pretty good who is working at your table, you might ask for his or her opinion on one of your junipers. You can ask them what they are doing with their trees to improve it. After 15 minutes or so, you have created a “study group”. You might mention you will be bringing junipers in for the next few sessions, and anyone who wants to focus on junipers is welcome to sit at your table and join in.

If they don’t want to, they don’t have to.
Thank you will try. Only problem most of the junipers they bought from the last meeting in July are dead. That is one of the reasons for wanting to start with a learning group,they were not given any info. I have about 30 bonsai at all different stages, not finished. Love the hobby and I work on plants from the bottom up.However I am slowly learning . Thank you good plan

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Well, if they are killing their trees, why would you want to study with them? Unless you want to teach them. That’s a different matter.

If you are much better than the rest of the group, it can be tricky.

As an example:

A new bonsai “club” or “study group” was created here by a guy who moved here from the Northeast. Nice guy, largely self taught, makes decent trees, but doesn’t have a lot of skills or techniques to draw upon. When I first met him, it was at a show he put together at the local bonsai shop where I teach lessons. Everyone was encouraged to bring a tree, and I did. I, unfortunately “won” the show. As my tree was far better than anything else there. There was no prize, but I could tell the guy was hurt.

I did not “compete” in the next show, but I did offer critiques, and demo’ed some techniques.

Finally, the guy showed up to take one of my classes, and seemed to understand that I’m really trying to help him grow in knowledge and technique.

nagatay

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
He's you are right. It is hard to sit back and watch what they are sold and showed. I believe the most important first step is the health of the plant and the reason why you like it. Than
Well, if they are killing their trees, why would you want to study with them? Unless you want to teach them. That’s a different matter.

If you are much better than the rest of the group, it can be tricky.

As an example:

A new bonsai “club” or “study group” was created here by a guy who moved here from the Northeast. Nice guy, largely self taught, makes decent trees, but doesn’t have a lot of skills or techniques to draw upon. When I first met him, it was at a show he put together at the local bonsai shop where I teach lessons. Everyone was encouraged to bring a tree, and I did. I, unfortunately “won” the show. As my tree was far better than anything else there. There was no prize, but I could tell the guy was hurt.

I did not “compete” in the next show, but I did offer critiques, and demo’ed some techniques.

Finally, the guy showed up to take one of my classes, and seemed to understand that I’m really trying to help him grow in knowledge and technique.
You are right. The plants they bought at the last meeting this summer are mostly dead or set back. I work mostly from the bottom up slowly. I also believe that the health and working in the right season is important. Also, why you bought the plant. Thank you again. Maybe I should just watch.

Top Bottom