Stumbled on this video today...

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Well... I wouldn't do it... but Heron's Bonsai has a good reputation for knowing what they're doing, so...

And for a raft style he is just trying to get it into the tray in order to get the trunk to throw roots. I admit that when I looked at the beginning material I was not thinking "raft".

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hmmm! Obviously survived however not personal style either way;).

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Well... I wouldn't do it... but Heron's Bonsai has a good reputation for knowing what they're doing, so...

And for a raft style he is just trying to get it into the tray in order to get the trunk to throw roots. I admit that when I looked at the beginning material I was not thinking "raft".

I'd disagree with 'a good reputation', most people on the weetrees UK forum think that Herons is overpriced and Peter Chan comes off as not as adept as you'd expect of a bonsai pro.

Watch his Larch video where he allowed the lower branches to die back through lack of light and then implied it would 'bud back' as most deciduous species would. Clearly, this is the exact opposite how you should build a good Larch, ie from the most proximal buds to the trunk outwards.

Last edited:

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I'd disagree with 'a good reputation', most people on the weetrees UK forum think that Herons is overpriced and Peter Chan comes off as not as adept as you'd expect of a bonsai pro.

Watch his Larch video where he allowed the lower branches to die back through lack of light and then implied it would 'bud back' as most deciduous species would. Clearly, this is the exact opposite how you should build a good Larch, ie from the most proximal buds to the trunk outwards.

I'm by no means familiar with the guy or the business, but I believe I've seen some other videos of their's that made me lift an eyebrow....

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I don’t think I could ever do that to a tree... I know they can endure more than most put them through but.. damn, I just couldn’t bring myself to snap a trunk so brutely.

Fair enough he has creativity though.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I don’t think I could ever do that to a tree... I know they can endure more than most put them through but.. damn, I just couldn’t bring myself to snap a trunk so brutely.

im not saying that his technique is great. but the guy literally has 100s if not thousands of trees in pots. he can be brutal to a tree and not even bat an eyelid if it turns out to be firewood.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
You know what's interesting about this discussion? I was watching a cool video about "big bends" in bonsai, and the instructor (can't remember who it was) said more or less "there is always a risk when doing this kind of extreme work on a tree that you will kill the tree. However if you do not do this work it will forever be bad material, so it is far better to try to make it a quality bonsai and fail, than to never try at all because you are afraid to do the work."

However his technique did not involve stomping on the tree and cracking the trunk :) But he also wasn't working on a shimpaku whip either :) The material in this video would sell for less than $50 - so the extreme handling may simply be due to trying to get fast results from cheap, difficult material.

win320

Mame
Reaction score

I don't remember reading about the old "choke slam your tree to the floor, stomp it and break the trunk in half" technique....(10:00 min mark)

Thoughts?

Killed or not?
made me laugh so much (sorry about that); looks like a cheaper version of Master Kimura!

I can bet the tree died afterward. such a shame he killed so many of them over a course of time, also I am not sure how many viewers are going to kill many trees with this technique. I feel sorry

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I can bet the tree died afterward.

How do you know ?

I've seen similar techniques used before, and they were successful.

such a shame he killed so many of them over a course of time

Who told you so ? Where did you get that ? We surely don't have the same references as far as reliable content is concerned :mad:

He's showing a successful example of the same technique he used two years ago : watch from 16".

I don't know much about junipers (though I've just posted something about air-layering a Chinese juniper), but it works also with maples. They're much easier to root, OK, but that's the same principle.

This "forest" is actually a single Acer palmatum 'Beni komachi' that had almost all its branches on one side. I bought it from the former owner, who was the founder of our club many years ago, but couldn't take care of his trees because of health problems.

Photo taken in April 2020. Watch, learn something you haven't thought before :

acerp-z-foret.francis_200410a.jpg

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
If you DON’T occasionally chokeslam a tree (in front of all the others, so they know “what’s what”).... you could have a mutiny on your hands!
🤣🤣

More seriously, though, not my PERSONAL style (as has been stated by others before me).... but trees are tough, and so are the “natural forces” that act against them.

I doubt that I, myself, could chokeslam (thanks, Mike, I LOVE the imagery 🤣) a tree harder than “Mother Nature” could.

Maybe THIS guy..
1604419880062.gif

win320

Mame
Reaction score
How do you know ?

I've seen similar techniques used before, and they were successful.

Who told you so ? Where did you get that ? We surely don't have the same references as far as reliable content is concerned :mad:

He's showing a successful example of the same technique he used two years ago : watch from 16".

I don't know much about junipers (though I've just posted something about air-layering a Chinese juniper), but it works also with maples. They're much easier to root, OK, but that's the same principle.

This "forest" is actually a single Acer palmatum 'Beni komachi' that had almost all its branches on one side. I bought it from the former owner, who was the founder of our club many years ago, but couldn't take care of his trees because of health problems.

View attachment 337817
Nice forest btw...

I have been to his nursery and I have seen pile of dead bodies of pines and junipers... certainly even the imported pines and junipers if you look carefully which he claims are 30-40 years old have lower dead branches... see his videos again, please. thanks

Mapleminx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone

I agree, I just could not in good conscious inflict that amount of abuse on a tree. I always keep in mind that they are a living thing and despite the fact that I might bend one here and chop one there, I try to be respectful in the alteration and styling. Making some big bends can be difficult but I certainly would not be sticking my boot on a tree and snapping it like that.

He definitely took that tree down an unlikely path so can’t fault the creativity.

Last edited:

Mapleminx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone

View attachment 337817
🥰🥰🥰🥰

Mapleminx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I also have to point out that Peter Chan has some quite funny videos, I recall one where he talks about how trees need water and goes into great detail. He allegedly did this because apparently people who had purchase trees from him later returned with dead trees and he discovered it was because the owner was not watering them and were not aware trees needs water.😱😱

I do like his voice, his off the wall comments, and the sometimes humorous way he unintentionally presents. I could listen to him for a good while as long as I don’t have to look when he is body slamming a tree😂😂

Top Bottom