Stunning Calliandra californica

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Very nice! Thanks for sharing .
It is very funny because this morning, I just received 3 plants from one of my friends living in San Jose. I believe this specimen can be trained to the nice bonsai.
1CA8357B-AB44-416C-AF31-8F33A2B70EE8.jpeg

0AD019B8-B17B-4A86-82BB-8B73D4B3C01D.jpeg

6FA8EE60-55E6-46E9-ACB1-73F5F6AE5B63.jpeg
Thụ Thoại

Hbhaska

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Very nice! Thanks for sharing .
It is very funny because this morning, I just received 3 plants from one of my friends living in San Jose. I believe this specimen can be trained to the nice bonsai.
View attachment 332814

View attachment 332812

View attachment 332813
Thụ Thoại
Thank you, Bonhe. Yes, it seems like Calliandra could be made into good bonsai. I rescued mine from a nursery last year. Good luck with yours!

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That variety is stunning. It has it all. Mine is another type. Mine is easy care for and grows like a weed, but is coarser than your very fine leaved plant. Color is great too. I need to get one of these come spring (or sooner).
Thanks for sharing.

Hbhaska

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
A cousin of yours, my Brazilian Calliandra Selloi, the one in my avatar.

View attachment 332872
Beautiful! I think the flowers on Calliandra look like fiber optic lights with the tips glistening in light. That’s why they are stunning, I now realize.

Attachments

• F9109DCC-CB3D-4AE6-92A7-C950CD33B0F5.jpeg
    F9109DCC-CB3D-4AE6-92A7-C950CD33B0F5.jpeg
    22.7 KB · Views: 70

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thank you, Bonhe. Yes, it seems like Calliandra could be made into good bonsai. I rescued mine from a nursery last year. Good luck with yours!
Thanks Hbhaska
Thụ Thoại

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
Well, plenty of water, morning & afternoon sun, 50% organic soil, wiring and selective pruning.
They are used as hedges in Brazil, so I prune whenever the branches are becoming leggy.
It backbuds from any wood, new, old or trunk.
I fertilize a lot and it flowers twice a year.
I have lost one to the heat in the summer; now I avoid the midday sun altogheter.

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well, plenty of water, morning & afternoon sun, 50% organic soil, wiring and selective pruning.
They are used as hedges in Brazil, so I prune whenever the branches are becoming leggy.
It backbuds from any wood, new, old or trunk.
I fertilize a lot and it flowers twice a year.
I have lost one to the heat in the summer; now I avoid the midday sun altogheter.
Thank you very much Clicio
Thụ Thoại

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I bought some Calliandra californica seeds last week. They arrived Tuesday. Soaked them 24 hours. Poured water out of jar last night. This morning half of them have defined root radicals.

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
I bought some Calliandra californica seeds last week. They arrived Tuesday. Soaked them 24 hours. Poured water out of jar last night. This morning half of them have defined root radicals.
They want to grow. Stunning growth those plants.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Me too! I have BRT, a Powder Puff and Acacia. The Powder Puff has lots of new pinkish foliage. Can't wait to get everybody outside!
I hear you Carol. I just started doing the 2 step. My powder puff grew like a weed all winter. It is not the dwarfish variety you have. I just finished a few weeks of blooming and it needs a hard trim and sunshine.

Top Bottom