Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have a ficus microcarpa stump that I chopped back a few months ago, it’s not sprouting any shoots nor suckers.

I could see some whitish callous tissue though on one of the ginseng like roots when i excavated the soil a little bit; which tells me it’s creating new roots.

Any thoughts on why it’s not producing new growth?

Attachments

• 65DB9B3E-55D0-41B8-A539-68C3F9A3F026.jpeg
    65DB9B3E-55D0-41B8-A539-68C3F9A3F026.jpeg
    196.7 KB · Views: 34
  • 9FCE60CF-10AB-4C0D-B024-A8805ACB4225.jpeg
    9FCE60CF-10AB-4C0D-B024-A8805ACB4225.jpeg
    265.2 KB · Views: 33

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Where in the world? and what conditions is the stump in?
Winter is not a good time to chop ficus so it could sulk for some months before deciding to sprout. Time to regrowth will vary hugely depending on season and conditions, temp, etc.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Add your general location to your profile. Really helpful for getting advice. Does “chopping a few months ago” mean you chopped it in winter, spring, summer?

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
The soil looks rather soggy and mushy. Is that preferred for Ficus?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Add your general location to your profile. Really helpful for getting advice. Does “chopping a few months ago” mean you chopped it in winter, spring, summer?
Well the reason for not clarifying is honestly I don’t really remember, I think sometime in april which is late winter where I live.

It is now early summer and it has been solid good weather for a few weeks now which is why I’m really quite confused as to why it’s not growing. I will add my growing zone and area in my bio, I’m kinda sorta new here…

I posted a “thread” in my bio which kinda explains that I don’t know a lot about bonsainut.

Sorry for the missed information there’s just no said (clear) info about threads and such and such…

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Well the reason for not clarifying is honestly I don’t really remember, I think sometime in april which is late winter where I live.

It is now early summer and it has been solid good weather for a few weeks now which is why I’m really quite confused as to why it’s not growing. I will add my growing zone and area in my bio, I’m kinda sorta new here…

I posted a “thread” in my bio which kinda explains that I don’t know a lot about bonsainut.

Sorry for the missed information there’s just no said (clear) info about threads and such and such…
In my opinion there should be a “new here” page or something along those lines.

Bonsainut wouldn’t be so confusing to newcomers if there was information about things you long time members take for granted.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The soil looks rather soggy and mushy. Is that preferred for Ficus?
Financial problems prevent my from obtaining good stuff like perlite etc. I’ll just have to hope my trees survive well until i pot them into well draining soil.

Dragon60

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Even with bad soil good drainage is a must. Does the pot have a hole or holes to let water pass through?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Even with bad soil good drainage is a must. Does the pot have a hole or holes to let water pass through?
Yes. i moved it into a deeper pot with a lesser circumference than the nursery pot it was in and mixed in a little bit of leca and it seemed to have worked.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
In my opinion there should be a “new here” page or something along those lines.

Bonsainut wouldn’t be so confusing to newcomers if there was information about things you long time members take for granted.

There are more...

These are just "off the top of my head"

🤓

There is also an entire subforum, titled; "New to bonsai"

Hope this helps, traveler!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

There are more...

These are just "off the top of my head"

🤓

There is also an entire subforum, titled; "New to bonsai"

Hope this helps, traveler!
Big thanks! It’s quite intimidating and scary sometimes as a beginner when you are greeted with “the sideye” kind of like I can’t be seen as a good bonsai artist unless I prove I am even though my journey has just begun.

I mean no one is perfect, we can all learn from eachother.

No negativity I just want to see more equality in bonsai and I want people like me and many others to feel like they’re greeted with loving arms from masters and OGs.

I do get help here and there tho…
And to you and other knowledgeable bonsai people, who are actually nice and help practitioners and beginners…
Thank you, you inspire people like me!

Let’s learn and grow> (literally) together!

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Big thanks! It’s quite intimidating and scary sometimes as a beginner when you are greeted with “the sideye” kind of like I can’t be seen as a good bonsai artist unless I prove I am even though my journey has just begun.

I mean no one is perfect, we can all learn from eachother.

No negativity I just want to see more equality in bonsai and I want people like me and many others to feel like they’re greeted with loving arms from masters and OGs.

I do get help here and there tho…
And to you and other knowledgeable bonsai people, who are actually nice and help practitioners and beginners…
Thank you, you inspire people like me!

Let’s learn and grow> (literally) together!

Haha!!!!

You are a lot like me, my friend.

I've been "speaking out" against hostility and pompousness against newbies and NON-fundamentalists pretty much my entire tenure here! 🤣🤣

I did "welcome committee" for a while here, trying to give every newcomer a warm and inviting "hello".

Things like collecting trees/wiring/selecting stock/planting seeds/ experimenting with species....become very stressful and anxiety ridden for newcomers based ONLY on what the old grumps tell them! 🤣

That being said, the "Rules" ARE fundamentally important to know, and more consequently to UNDERSTAND "why" they exist.

If you'd like to, you can throw a PM my way and we can have a rolling plant conversation... I like to get to know new people, TRULY love helping and will never judge/berate...Only guide and learn with.

I'd always say, "This place is a wonderfully freaky communal bazaar, specializing in knowledge and experience.... Take what you need.... Give what you can."

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
How do I change information on my profile?
Scroll back up to one of your previous posts. Click on your name in the profile box - left side of the post.
That should take you to your page.
Look for 'about' box and click to go to your personal profile info which can be changed however you see fit.

Top Bottom