Styling a 35yr old collected azalea

Reaction score
I've only been working with bonsai about 4 years. I have 2 collected azaleas that I prepared in ground and transplanted last year into a shallow tub. Next year I will plant in a bonsai pot. I would like suggestions as to styling. I've attached 4 views and included a can for approximate size.
Thanx.20210327_114508.jpg20210327_114741.jpg20210327_114816.jpg20210327_114619.jpg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Looks like a nice trunk so far - I'm curious to hear if folks more knowledgeable than I would suggest removing the left thick branch in the first photo. I'm immediately drawn to the motion from the upwards trunk from that point and am also curious if terminating it about midway would make sense, below the top thick branch and down a bit.

But probably something else entirely ;)

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Good thing the soup is there, it may be the only thing mmm mmm good....right now.

Welcome to Crazy!

I think your biggest challenge will be making it look more like one continuous tree.

I wouldn't be in a rush to pot it.

Sorce

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
First make sure your tree is well established. A year is probably too soon after collecting azalea to start working. Lack of foliage may just be seasonal but I would like to see more leaves and more solid branching before working with this one. Some azaleas root relatively quick, others grow new shoots but have few new roots for 2-3 years.

Start with basic analysis of best features:
1. Nebari. Always start with nebari and base of trunk! 2 views give better nebari. 1 and 3. 1 has some interesting hollows that may be features. 3 may have better flow of roots into ground. Dead wood in trunk?
2. Trunk. Look for shape and taper. 1 and 3 both have best bends. Reverse taper near the top not quite as obvious as in 1.
3. Branches: Look for good placement, direction, taper and ramification. 1 - low branches long without taper. 2 - Most branches grow straight toward viewer. 3 - well placed side branch on the thick one that could improve taper. 4 - Most branches toward the back.
4. Features: Look for special feature to show off. 1 - Interesting hollow between the 2 low trunks. 3 - dead wood in lower trunk? 4 - hollow right through base of trunk. Wide spreading nebari and strong roots.
5 Faults: Look for things you don't like to see. Note that some features can also be faults in some eyes. Thick branch. Thick stump of shorter trunk.

Looking at the above analysis it looks like either 1 or 3 will be the best views. 3 offers slightly better thick branch option.
The trunk is obviously upright with some slight bends so I would just try to grow an informal upright style tree.
Healthy azalea will bud everywhere when trunk chopped. When the tree is healthy I would chop the taller section of trunk around half then use some of the resulting shoots to develop new upper trunk with taper and some more branching. Best to seal large cuts on azalea to reduce die back.
Branching for azalea is styled to show flowers so leave some space between branches. Prune often to get really good ramification for spectacular flower show.
make a feature out of the hollows and/or dead wood present in the lower trunk.

Developing azalea is a long term project, even when you have an established trunk. Plan for a 5-10 year project to make good bonsai from this.

Reaction score
Thank you! I appreciate your constructive suggestions and will be examining the tree/shrub with your analysis in mind. We are in North Carolina and trees are just beginning to leaf out. Although the azaleas never completely loose their leaves, this one hasn't began to leaf out yet. I have another one that is also collected and will post later for suggestions as well. Thanx again.

Top Bottom