Styling a ficus microcarpa 'melon seed'

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Can anyone enlighten me as to what to do to style/train it? I am & was new when I got it because it looked cool to me, and I've been staring at it wondering what to do with it for about six months. I realize now is not the time to work on it, but I am curious to know what this tree can become. Any help is appreciated.

PXL_20221216_021737691.jpg
PXL_20221216_021720159.jpg
PXL_20221216_021755371.jpg

Michael P

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Ficus are the silly putty of bonsai, meaning that you can shape them into any style you like. Try finding some examples of ficus bonsai that you really like, then imagine how your tree can look like them. One of your first decisions will be how big you want the tree to be.

Right now your tree looks a little weak--long thin branches with a few leaves at the ends. Give it the best conditions you can over the winter, move it outside as soon as weather permits in the spring. When it is growing vigorously (probably late June in your climate) then prepare to do major pruning.

You have an overwhelming number of branches to choose from, which may be one of the reasons you have difficulty deciding what to do. Fortunately there are plenty of low branches that can be trained as new leaders. One possibility is a broom style. Ficus aren't usually seen in this style, but your tree with its fan of upright branches suggests broom to me. Another approach would be to drastically shorten the trunk, then bring the remaining branches to horizontal position. Encourage aerial roots, and you will have a banyan.

Balbs

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
I have one just like this. Not a ton of taper, tons of branches all about the same thickness. I went through the branches, removed bar branches, weak branches, dead branches, branches inside curves, etc. and then started to wire things horizontal. At some point it started to present a path forward. If nothing else, it’s wiring practice with the cheap, thin wire!

Top Bottom