Styling advice for Chinese Juniper please

Reaction score
USDA Zone
This tree I bought from Bob Mahler up in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania. I have had it for a few months now. I want to know how everybody would style it.87CF7AEF-9A96-4B10-9A4C-2E2BAE91A64F.jpeg
E0465CE8-FA3B-4115-B2F4-17DEFDE19186.jpeg
77B947AD-0FD1-47F7-9043-280A1A300973.jpeg

jaco94

Chumono
Reaction score
Nice, but for me the vegetation is too far from the trunk.
I will try to rebalance a little because currently everything is going in the same direction, vegetation and trunk line.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Take photos from the same plane as the upper rim of the pot. Looking down at the tree, the sense of depth and proportion is distorted.

But the tree already has a style. It is more or less "windswept". Easiest would be to continue to develop the tree in the style it currently has. It has relatively little foliage at the moment. I would let it grow at least one year, to fill out.

For better styling advice a set of photos, with neutral background, no lawn or shrubbery behind the tree to make viewing difficult. The camera lens should be level with the plane of the upper edge of the pot. The camera should be far enough back to encompass the entire tree. One photo every 90 degrees, so we see all sides. Then you will get better styling advice.

Not a bad tree at first glance.

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
It doesn't look ready to style. There should be runners at the ends ...and backbudding.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Dope trunk.

I'd like to see the hole at the base covered, maybe coaxing out a little move movement and visual interest from here, but a little clockwise turn, so we could see that loop up top.

Capture+_2020-09-24-15-37-23~2.png

I don't think your folaige needs to leave this silhouette, though the bottom is too low, imo.
Capture+_2020-09-24-15-37-23.png

The wide oval is kind of asking for a wide canopy, but the tree between says no.
I'd like to see it in something more round and Literati.

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm going to make a pot for it right now.

Time me!

Sorce

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Braveheart!

This. And you have to cascade those top branches so that they gracefully sweep down with clearly definable tiers of foliage. I would reduce the foliage from your virt by about 50% by cleaning out and opening up the foliage mass. It is still in my eye too heavy.

And for the love of god lower the tree into a shallower pot so you aren't exposing all the surface roots.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
And for the love of god lower the tree into a shallower pot so you aren't exposing all the surface roots.
Yes!
I think many do not realize the extent to which junipers can make new roots on burried older roots. If managed well, you might be ablt to get the feeders right back to the junction.

Top Bottom