styling advice in colected tree. Where to start?

Nwaite

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I dug this tree up about 2 years ago.
It's still alive so I'm off to a good start. Its in the same soil i dug it up in. And i havent done any thing to it but fees an water. I'm not sure we're to go from here. Any suggestions would be great. Should I just let grow and slowly work on changing soils ? Can I start wiring? And if so what way should I go with it in your opinion?

Attachments

• 20160723_164038.jpg
    20160723_164038.jpg
    318.7 KB · Views: 84
  • 20160723_164059.jpg
    20160723_164059.jpg
    382.2 KB · Views: 77
  • 20160723_164045.jpg
    20160723_164045.jpg
    405.6 KB · Views: 76
Reaction score
Sure... I will throw my hat in the ring...
This is going to be a very difficult piece of material to style and is going to require more than likely a rather unconventional style.
I will tell you why...

First off, everything on the stump is dead except for the one live branch and its live vein going down from it into the soil. This means you can remove all of the bark on the stump above and around it, as well as from the two dead branches on the right. Now, the problem is that you are basically then going to end up with a big stump of deadwood, with a live part attached at the very base, down by the soil. Second problem is that the stump is more than twice the thickness of the branch, so it as it stands currently does not transition well from the size of the stump, down to the branch size. So, either you will have to spend years rowing the branch out to thicken it up... or crave the deadwood down or creates hollows to disperse its heavier weight. Third problem... you do not want to pick a direction forward with the style, that eliminates the deadwood of the two branches on the right, or else you will just end up with a log with no interest.

So... my very first suggestion would be to remove the bark off of what is dead as I mentioned above... This will allow you to see what it is you actually have, and how you can make the style work with it. Once this is done, post up another picture and we can then see. I will tell you now that the easiest route for you to do, as well as for you to try and make work with what is going on with the material, is going to be a full cascade...

Here is a quick virt...

cascade.jpg

Nwaite

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sure... I will throw my hat in the ring...
This is going to be a very difficult piece of material to style and is going to require more than likely a rather unconventional style.
I will tell you why...

First off, everything on the stump is dead except for the one live branch and its live vein going down from it into the soil. This means you can remove all of the bark on the stump above and around it, as well as from the two dead branches on the right. Now, the problem is that you are basically then going to end up with a big stump of deadwood, with a live part attached at the very base, down by the soil. Second problem is that the stump is more than twice the thickness of the branch, so it as it stands currently does not transition well from the size of the stump, down to the branch size. So, either you will have to spend years rowing the branch out to thicken it up... or crave the deadwood down or creates hollows to disperse its heavier weight. Third problem... you do not want to pick a direction forward with the style, that eliminates the deadwood of the two branches on the right, or else you will just end up with a log with no interest.

So... my very first suggestion would be to remove the bark off of what is dead as I mentioned above... This will allow you to see what it is you actually have, and how you can make the style work with it. Once this is done, post up another picture and we can then see. I will tell you now that the easiest route for you to do, as well as for you to try and make work with what is going on with the material, is going to be a full cascade...

Here is a quick virt...

View attachment 111635

Wow. Thanks that's great.
I'll do some research on carving the dead wood and start heading in that direction.

Reaction score
No problem...

See, the thing is you can always style material in a multiple of ways... it is just about finding the best way forward with the material, your comfort level and what way the material can be altered.

The last pic you posted from more of the top is doable as well... in this instance, I would want to bring the live branch back to the right and try and do a tight bend to it, so as to have the branch lay down almost on top of the deadwood stump. The direction of the tree, would then go to the right.

This approach, is tougher... requires a good understanding of bending larger branches, and might have to be done over a series of movements.

Also take into consideration, that if it does not work, and you loose the branch, you loose the tree! However, nothing ventured nothing gained...

If it was mine, I would do this approach. Reason being...that once all of the deadwood is exposed, I don't think you are going to really like the look of the first virt. As well the design us going to look kinda so-so... an after taught, peerhaps a bit like a bad tanuki.

This second approach will make the whole image feel as one complete unit, wirh the live foliage interacting wirh the deadwood, not two separate entities.

Lastly, of course with the first virt, once you have the cascading direction accomplished with the main trunk. .. you can style the rest in any number if ways.

Clean up the deadwood as mentioned... post up some pics, and see what everyone thinks. Not trying to insult here, but this is not the representation if "amazing" collected stock. However, it might teach you more about how to do Bonsai that the amazing stock would, as you search for a solution to the problem of how to make a very nice tree out of it.
Good luck!

Reaction score
Virt2.jpg

This Virt is more along the lines of the second post, and what I was discussing.

Nwaite

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I dug this up right when I first started getting into bonsai. .. had been hit by the plow truck on my driveway. I know it's not great but like you said I'd it's good stock to be experimenting on for a newbie. And free.

Thanks for taking time on the pics you did. I'll start working on the deadwood asap and do some more pics.

Lastly any one know any good threads or articles on working on collected tree after the digging and replant part or doing the root work part . That's all I can seem to find.

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
"Lastly any one know any good threads or articles on working on collected tree after the digging and replant part or doing the root work part . That's all I can seem to find."
Stacy has given you some ideas and good advise.....I'm sure this tree will teach you a lot, while you are looking for other local specimens.
Two years into this craft, so how is your book collection.?......if you haven't got any, the one I'd recommend for your questions on working collected trees is Nick Lenz's "Bonsai from the Wild, Collecting, Styling and caring for Bonsai", Second addition.....it's the most used one I have.
Cheers Graham

Top Bottom